Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 Bent axle??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After riding it Fri, Sat, Sun, and Mon. it bent again. Not as bad because I was only going over two to three foot water breaks at the state park. I was soo tired from the riding the day before I was going very slow over the jumps just bunny hopping them. But now both tires wobble! Plus the shocks bottom out very, very easy. Much easier than the 400ex!!! Was this quad designed for 130 lb jap riders???

Old 05-28-2002, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

had mine on the mx track on sat. no problems. just adjusted the front shocks as hard as they would go and had no problem. cleared everything. the highest i got was roughly 4-6 feet. feels good. i weigh about 175. never bottomed out. feels plush. no bent axel. a lot of compliments on the machine.

Old 05-28-2002, 12:14 PM
Range Rover

Had mine out on the MX track on sunday. I weigh about 210 and I hit some pretty big air and it came away unscathed. As far as the suspension is concerned, yes I bottomed it out good a couple of times. Of course I have not adjusted the suspension either. So far so good.

Old 05-28-2002, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not hearing enough "I broke my axle." Its more some dood did stuff. If this is happeing to you then complain to ur dealer and then the reports will file in and Suzuki will make a stronger axle. Hopefully they'll do it the Cannondale way and replace not just make a stronger one the next year and make everyone else buy a new one like Yamahaha.

Later

Old 05-28-2002, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

I thought I already replied to this. I'll do it again anyways.

Last night while I had my Z400 on the jack cleaning the chain I noticed my wheel was wobbling. I think it might be a bent axle or rim. At lunch I put it on the jack again and I couldn't get the motor to stay running fast enough to see if the axle was bent. I think I need a second person to give it some throttle so I can watch the axle. Also is the axle in two halves? I looked back there and it looks like each side screws into the swing arm. Or does the axle run through the swingarm also? Is it OK if I drive my Z400 with a bent axle? The wheel wobble is not bad really so I don't think the axle is bent a whole lot if it is bent.

If my axle is bent then I will be in total disbelief with Suzuki. So far I haven't hit any big jumps to speak of and all of my landings were never hard or screwed up. So how come the quality control people at Suzuki didn't pick up on this weak axle problem? If there is a recall on this axle I hope it happens very soon.

How much does a new axle cost? Are they hard to change? Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-28-2002, 06:25 PM
GTV
Range Rover

Shurely at this day and age, the manufactures know how to design an axel that will hold up. Sounds like a quality control issue in the hardening process, maybe they will get a handel on it sooooon!!!

I got to look at my first one today at a delaer in Tennessee(Nashville). They want $5,800.00 plus tax and all the B.S they add, Not Me!!!

I still want a Z, but this thing looks wimpee. The upper frame is smaller diamater than the other quads(EX,Raprot). The A-Arms look week, like something home made! Same with the front shock mounts, looks iffy.

Take the EX, Raptor, and Z and compare the three chasis, the z is by far the shabbiest looking one, don't take my word for it, compare them.

I am not saying that it woln't hang, I just know that I wasn't impressed with it like I was hopeing that I would be.

Every one I ride with started with a 300EX, they have all moved up in the world and now it is my turn, I guess I will have to waite to see how the Z holds up.

If a Raptor handled like a EX, I'd but one today!!!

Don't take what I have stated to heart, it is only my opinion, the more I try to learn, the less I know...

Old 05-29-2002, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

Here is a pic of one of the jumps in my backyard that bottoms me out everytime.

LTZ-400

Old 05-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

that's a decent size jump. did you take your quad to the dealership? if so, what did they say? have you adjusted your rear shocks yet?

Old 05-29-2002, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

It is kinda small. I have been very busy with work and I have not even looked at the axle again since I rode this weekend. I will jack it up tonight before I go out partying and see how bad it is. That jump was not even the one that bent it. The one that bent it was much smaller. I guess just bunny hopping small 2 foot high jumps all day will bend it too. I rode all day with a 400ex and he was jumping alot high b/c I was already tired from the day before and not one bend on his. I don't think any atv should bend an axle even slightly running these jumps. My POS Polaris could jump higher without bending the axle. I like the quadsport alot BUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! I will be talking to the dealer tomorrow

Old 05-29-2002, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

hmm. you don't have wheels spacers right? how much do you weigh, just wonderin' cuz i'm 150lbs. i think i'm gonna call my dealership right now and talk to them about it.

Quick Reply: Z400 Bent axle??