Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

new z400, want to change tires holeshot xct,xcr,razars???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get new tires and don't know which ones to buy ? I live in illinois and we got trails that dry somtimes or muddy as hell. I don't know what size to get for the rear and should i keep stock rims. All i heard is itp holeshots,xct,xcr,and razars are good but really don;t know to mcuh bout them anyone recommend and tires and if i chould stay eith stock rims or go with douglas or itps ???

Bill

2003 Z400- nerf bars,renthal bars,

Old 08-02-2002, 02:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

your best bet would be a razar it cleans it self very good as far as mud goes and is one of the best tires for reliablity (6 ply dont get cheap) as far as size try to stick as close to the stock size as possible i have found that the manufacturers know what they are doing and the stock size works well for most conditions

Old 08-02-2002, 02:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

ps. if you have a lot of rocks in the trail douglas .190 should do it stocker are kind of soft bent mine on the 3rd ride

Old 08-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Range Rover

holeshot XCR's very well built tire cleans itself very easily trust me you wont be disapointed

Old 08-02-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

I ran Holeshot XCT's (23" front and 22" rear) for a short time. THE BIKE DIDN'T LIKE THEM!! There was excessive feedback (from the trail) in the steering caused by the large 23" front tires, and the bike doesn't have the low end to turn the big heavy 22" rears (without a gearing change or some motor mods).

I then switched to Holeshot XC's (22" front and 20" rear) and THE BIKE LOVES THESE!! The feedback is completely gone. The cushey stock tires are a big part of the bikes plush suspension, so the bike will be a bit rougher with aftermarket rubber.

Old 08-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

yes the xct's are a bit harsh I was talking about the XCR's the new version 20x11x9 it is not the 22 inch you where talking about just wanted to clear that up so there is no confusion

Old 08-02-2002, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

First of all.

The tire size. This depends on conditions. If you are having problems getting stuck with stock tires do to large ruts and the quad high centers then get the 22" rears. This equal higher ground clearance. If you get 22" change the sprokets to get the bottom end back. I drop 1 tooth on the front and 1 on the back.

If your not having any problems with the ground clearance stay with the 20" size.

For the rims. I would stay with the stock ones unless you want to sets of tires and rims that you can switch back and forth from pending on riding conditions.

Now for the tires. Razor and holeshot are both excellent tires and they act a little different. The razor seem to have better forward traction, but slide easier sideways (powersliding).
The razor also tend to wear a little quicker than the holeshots.
For the holeshots I would get the xcr they have deep lugs and hook up bigger than the xc.
So basically it depends on the rider. I like the holeshots, because they don't break loose in a corner unless you force them to, the razor will slide the rear a little bit in a corner even if you don't want them to do. This is no big deal you just have to get use to it. So your riding style plays a role in the tires.

As for the front 21" or 22" pending on how you want the quad to sit. The razor front are fine just the way they come. Now the holeshot tend to dance or jerk a little. The fix is to cut the inner and outter lugs off. This helps keep the tires from pulling you into ruts and other things.

I run 22" xct holeshots on the rear cause of the ground clearance and the control factor. As for the fronts I run 23" xcr Pure Sport Bandits. Pure Sport is a division of Titan tire and their front bandits come cut and grooved and are 6ply. I've raced for 4 years and these tires are awesome. I have tried both razor and holeshot front and rear and this is the set up I like. I hope my info helped you.

Old 08-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Another thing with the tall XCT's, the bike seemed a little tippy. For me, I would rather buy a good bashguard and hit the occasional rock, than sacrifice any high speed handling to a taller bike.

I have not had a chance to try the XCR. Their more open tread pattern, suggests they might be best in soft/wet conditions, rather than the desert.