Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 vs RAPTOR

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< I think the biggest reason they compare them is because its down right embarrassing that a little 400 can beat the 660 in the woods, beat it on the track, and only loses in a drag race by a small margine, much smaller margine then the 60% bigger engined Raptor should be able to do.
Add that to the fact that many Raptor owners bought the Raptor because it used to get all the rag fluffing, and it makes a good story.
I rode both before I bought the Z, which was also before I read any Rag fluff, and there was no way I was going to spend more on the Raptor.

If I ONLY rode in the dunes, the Raptor would have been a better quad for me. But I need a DO-ALL quad, not a DO-ONE quad.
>>

You must be talking about the 400EX, because I have yet to see the Z400 winning ANY races around here. The 400EXs and 250Rs still own the MX track, and the Banshees and Raptors own the sand. Sure, there's a few badass LT500s and DS650s here and there but they're few and far between.
People are buying Z400s because they either can't afford the Raptor (can only get financed up to the Z400) or are scared of the extra power. I have rode a Z400, and it felt exactly like my wife's 400EX with just a tad more power on the top end. And that's fine, but don't start making claims about &quot;tippy&quot; and &quot;heavy&quot; Raptors just because you can't handle the extra power. Those are both lame excuses I've seen for being a novice rider who can't handle the extra power. Just because a full race 250R scares the hell out of me on a MX track you won't see me ******* it out for being a &quot;DO-ONE&quot; quad.
The Z400 has bumped the 400EX down another notch, but is still behind the Cannondale and Raptor. NOTHING can touch a new Cannondale, admit it now.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

are you kidding?!you really think people are getting the Z because they can't get financed
for a raptor??? that is ALMOST the most rediculous statement i have ever heard.
i got the Z because it is an OVERALL better quad.
i would belive that people who don't get the dale(due to cost or financing)would get the Z over the raptor. the cost diff between the two is pocket change.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

I paid cash for my raptor;and I sold it for cash and bought a Z400.I liked the raptor and I love my Z. The raptor was a nice quad but, they stay in the shop alot. The raptor does not corner as well as the z. In stock form, they are more unstable[TIPPY]. An axle would take care of alot of it.I have been riding for over 25 years.I can remember when everone loved the ATC 185S. If you could love that thing. I know you could enjoy a raptor or quadsport Z400.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Well, part of what I'm getting at is that the Z400 appears to be the most expensive quad people are getting financing on. I don't know a single person around here who didn't just go buy their Raptor or Cannondale, but many of the Z400 guys around here got loans for their machines. Maybe if you're just taking advantage of the 0% financing for six months that's okay. Our biggest Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer says the Z400s are all going out the door on loans, I can't imagine making payments on a four wheeler! Oh well, that's cool anyway. It just means there will be more people out riding which is the important part.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Range Rover

Bike shops would close up if they only sold to those with cash.If you can afford az you can a raptor.

Old 08-20-2002, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

Here are a few fact the way I see it:

1. The Raptor is tippy. It doesnt matter if you extend the axle or not, the front end still fails you. It's center of gravity it to high. It is to narrow. And the seat is to high.

2. The Dales are great but....
- High maintenance
- When the wreck at the track they are pushed off unlike the other quads
- To much money for the average Joe
- To stiff and rough for the average Joe
- Limited in terms of power gain with the exception of fuel and air changing

3. A Z400 with pipe, jetted, no air box and a cam/ignition kit kills beats a Dale.

Old 08-20-2002, 08:22 PM
Range Rover

FreakyStone - I think you are dreaming if you think a Z400 will beat a Cannondale without major motor work. You will also need to upgrade the tires, shocks, axle, and A-Arms. If your gonna MX it you should also think about getting an aftermarket frame.

Old 08-20-2002, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

oh i get it,if u r poor u get the Z
if u r rich u get the raptor.
got to go,i need to sell my food stamps so i can get an exhaust.

Old 08-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor is NOT that tippy... I haven't tiped once, with an axle the Raptor is very stable!!

Old 08-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Range Rover

i sold my raptor to get a z, i guess thats like moving to the ghetto?

Quick Reply: Z400 vs RAPTOR