Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 vs RAPTOR

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 04:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monday, July 29, 2002 11:14 PM (NEW!)

It sounds like all you Raptor guys are just pissed that there is a new quad out getting all the attention the Z is a grate quad that is NOT from any ***!NG magazine I have a Raptor to and I like my Z way more and yes the Raptor dose beat the Z in a drag and it should its got 260 more cc you mite expect it to kick the Zs *** but it doesn’t it only gets the Z buy 10 feet or so and that’s only if you keep the Raptors front down if not the Z will win every time! Oh and the Z stays even with the Raptor till 4th gear what’s up with that

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=309793

Old 08-02-2002, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

I went to the dealership with a check to buy a Raptor 2 weeks ago. After riding the last Z they had on hand, I loaded it up and took it home. One of the funnest quad I have ever riden. Who has time to get out of 4th anyhow?

Old 08-02-2002, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

I guess the Z is a good quad but it is not the be all & end all! It doesn't make all other quads obsolete.

In the dunes or a drag race the Z just won't keep up with a Raptor, It isn't susposed to. When you say the Z loses to the Raptor in a drag race "only because it has 260 more cc's you are confirming that.

While it may keep up in the woods or even be faster than a Raptor in the tight stuff I can put on $100 worth of wheel spacers & be faster than the Z again, You need a lot of expensive motor work to keep up with a Raptor every where else.

These 2 quads aren't in the same class so why does everyone feel the need to compare them? Because for now the Raptor is the benchmark unless you spend the big $$$$ for a C'dale. But the C'dale is a high strung high matinentce race quad, not an every day ride anywhere quad like the Z400, 400EX & Raptor.

You like your Z better than your Raptor, Good for you, It works better for you in your riding conditions.
But don't think that 10 lengths in 100 yards isn't a big diffrence. As for hanging with a Raptor to 4th gear, I'm in 3rd gear at the end of a 100 yard sand grag & I never see him after the green flashes on.

Like I said it's not because the Z sucks, they were made for diffrent riders.
When Suzuiki comes out with a big bore quad then you can compare apples to apples!

Old 08-03-2002, 12:28 AM
WP
Pro Rider

There is no substitution for cc's. The Raptor will eat Z's for lunch and it should being it is an open class quad. There are really only 2 places you can compare a Z to a Raptor and those are the track and the trails. The Z handles better and has better low end power delivery. If you really want to beat a Raptor in a drag race you should be buying the Banshee.

Old 08-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

The Z is pretty close to the Raptor in power. That is why they are compared together. I've owned 3 Raptors, 2 that were modded heavily,but when the Z came out the last 2 Raps. were kicked to the curb. Stock for stock the Z IS CLOSE TO THE RAPTOR IN POWER and totally out performs the Rap in handling. It takes way more than $100 in wheel spacers to get the Raptor to handle because the Rap's front shocks start the whole tippy feeling. They're too soft{nice for the Grizzly}, but when replaced with your favorite zero preload shock the Rap will feel like it has training wheels or more stable like the Z. Although the Rap is about 30 lbs. heavier, it feel like a WHOLE lot more. I'm sure the Z will hang with the Rap in the dunes and drags with these mods: 40mm FCR carb,cam,porting,piston, and of course exhaust. Yeah, I know if you do the same mods to the Rap the 660 would still be faster and it should. But that is not a lot to make a Z400 hang or pass a 660!

Old 08-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Range Rover

Ya what he said!

Old 08-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Engine mods can be expensive, yes. But with the $1,000 saved by getting the Z, they seem a lot cheaper. Raptors are cool too, ride whatcha like, love whatcha ride.
peace

Old 08-04-2002, 02:57 PM
ben
Trailblazer

lvegas..i live close to you, we can ride moses lake or the trails do you want to see, how slow is your z? we can go anytime if you can we can bet some money.let me know when are we going

Old 08-04-2002, 08:17 PM
Range Rover

they make the z and ex in the 400class so they can be made to race. Youcan only race raptors in open class events.

Old 08-05-2002, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Actually they can race Raptors in the Pro Production class in the GNCC series but the 400ex's are smoking them there just like they do on an mx track. And I see them get smoked pretty regular at the local atv rodeo's. I watched a stock production Cannondale wade through several Raptors at the last flat track race I attended. It was actually kind of amusing as he half tracked them by the 3rd lap. Oh and he was faster than they were in the drag races also. I've rode them both quite a bit and although the Raptor may do fine in the woods as a trail bike you will work harder on it than the 400ex and Z400 guys will. The center of gravity is different between the Z and the Raptor which makes the Raptor feel a lot heavier than it actually is and more tippy on sticky flat surfaces like flat tracks and atv rodeo type races.

Quick Reply: Z400 vs RAPTOR