Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

My new Z is junk !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowsalot, You like the Z better than the Raptor? I'm just wanted to hear your thoughts between the 2. I personally like the Z better than the Raptor. I ride a piped and jetted '02 Raptor that's my buddies. It's quick, no doubt about that, but it just has something to do with the way you sit and the way it handles, to me anyway. My other friend has a 400EX. Man, I tell you I like the ride and handling of the 400 better. I feel like I can take corners faster on my Lakota than the Raptor. And, The Lakota is quite a bit heavier. Granted, I'm not used to the Rappy as much as the Lakota. The Lakota and I are one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We've been through a lot together. But, I'm not as used to the EX either and I can just seem to corner better with it, too. It just feels more confident to me.

Anyway, I think I would absolutely love to own a Z. It may not be as fast in a drag as the Rappy, but it sounds like it's quick enough. Unfortunately I have not had the privelage to ride a Z yet, but from what I hear they are my #1 choice right now. I love the Cannondale's, too, but I'm a tight woods trail rider and really enjoy reverse. Not to mention, after all the fun I've made of my buddy, cussing as he steps in deep mud or has to push a long trail backwards on his EX, for not having reverse I would never hear the end of it if my quad didn't have reverse. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I hear that the Cannon is not really at home in the tight woods, anyway. I sat on a Cannible. Felt good, but seemed like it would beat you up pretty good on long rides or slow going. The seat felt pretty stiff. If I raced at all, there would be no other choice for me. Unless, like you said, harescrambles only, or other tight, slow, rough terrain riding.

I can't wait to hear what the "Big Papa", or some similar mods., do for it.

I'd really like to hear you personal comparison of pros and cons on the 2(Z and Raptor). You've prob. have done this before, but if you wouldn't mind again, I would appreciate it.

Old 08-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I race some gncc and I race a New York hare scramble series. I ran a 400ex last year and won the 4 stroke title on it . I needed more power and did not want to dump a lot of $$ in the ex so i bought a z. I love the z . It is a good package for the type of tight woods racing I do. The only problems I have had so far is that the axle bent but Suzuki replaced it under warranty and last weekend at a race i bent a tie rod. Other than those two weak points i give the quad an A. I have raced (drag)a few different modded ex's and have NO problem beating them.Mine is bone stock also other than suspension mods ,tires ,bars, dampner,etc. the normal stuff.Good job Suzuki!

Old 08-21-2002, 12:07 AM
The Facility

stebob,

Sorry for taking so long to post back. I haven't been on as much lately.

I like both the Z400 and the Cannibal. They do a little of everything well, but both also shine above the other in certain areas. I don't mean to sound like DirtWheels, but that's how I rate the two.

On the hare scramble races that I particiapte in, two tracks have a few fields that are over a 1/2 mile in length. I have passed much of my class riders in these fields with the Cannibal that I would not have been able to do with the Z400. On thew other hand, the tight tracks are sometimes exhausting with the Cannibal because it's not as smooth. Not suspension wise, but powerwise. It's easier to ride a tight trail with smooth power than it is abrupt power.

If I could, I would own both machines and race them both depending on which track I was running.

AS far as motocross is concerned.......I wouldn't trade the Cannibal for nothing. I have rode the Z400 on the track and think it does well, but not as well as the Cannibal. A modified Z400 may change my mind, but I'm talking stock vs stock and it's not even close.

I have never been a big fan of the Raptor for a few reasons. The biggest being that the majority of it's weight is carried "upperward" in the frame due to the enormously large engine design. Why is it so big and heavy?? The Honda XR650 engine isn't but about half the size and weight of the Raptor engine. This....and because I stand 6'4" [with most of that height above the waist] makes the Raptor a tipsy ride with me. I just can't get a comfortable feel for the quad when trying to ride aggressive.
I know this is more of a personal quirk than an actual problem with the bike, but you asked, and that's my reason......LOL

Later

Old 08-21-2002, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the feedback, Knowsalot. I was looking for a good unbiased opinion.