Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

hair dryer turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HVAC blower of a car can easily put out 300 CFM (about 8.495 M^3/min) and a 400CC engine at 9000 RPM pulls in about 1.8 M^3/min. With a brushless blower motor at 12 volts, it's about 17 amps of current draw.

Estimating the current needed for 6 volts and blah blah blah.. assuming that there is a significant drop (aka <0 psig) in the air box, blah blah blah there is a good possibility that a blower can help boost power at the low end by keeping the air box at >= 0 psig.

Can you get >0 psig from the blower motor? maybe.

Old 09-30-2002, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

How about turning your airbox into an automatic icemaker? It would cool the air as it enters, making a more dense and more powerful charge of air, and provide a ready source to cool your favorite, or my favorite beverage! I never seem to have enough ice on these long desert rides.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2002, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

OK let me see where we are first we use the hair dryer to fix the helmet hair then we add a stylish curl w/ the iron mix a frosty drink w/ the ice/air box and keep ourselves cool w/ the a/c driven by the yard blower but all of this is provided we do not run out of cord. Right?

Where did the fart come into play?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2002, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

well, we're just gonna have to get the stator rewound [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2002, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

I'm with Mr350X. This hairdyer things is hilarious, sounds like something Beavis and Butthead would come up with.

The only practicle way to boost your air intake pressure without a turbo is to build a ram-air. I experimented with this about 19 years ago on an ATC 185s.

Here is what I did:

First you seal off all the openings on the airbox to make it air tight, I used alot of ducttape.

I then cut a 3 inch hole on the side of the airbox and attached a PVC tube (3 inch OD)out of the side of the using JB weld. Of course I sealed of the original intake opening, which I couldn't use because of the angle, size and position.

Next, I attached a 3 inch ID hose (fish tank hose)to the PVC pipe sticking out of the airbox. I used muffler straps to secure the hose up toward the side of the gas tank. Then I placed a funnel at the end of the hose, held in place by wires. I looked awful and I couldn't use the rear fenders during the test.

The results: Increadibly enough, the bike picked up some pep in the lowend. At the time I did expect this but as it turns out a long intake track is benificial to low end power. It feel quite snappy on the bottom end compared to the airboxless, unifilter setup I normally ran.

As for the results, we timed my bike through 10 runs each with this contration and then without. All test were done without the rear fenders so there would be no aerodynamical advantage.

Well we have a strip of pavement we used to drag on. If was somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 mile long. After everything was said and done the ram-air assited runs were about 1 second faster than the open airfilter runs.

We also had a street bike run along to get a Max MPH and accoring to the bike speedo we picked up between 2-4 MPH with the ram-air.

As for how the bike felt, usually it settled into 5 gear is about 3 seconds and then stopped reving. With the ram-air once the 185s hit the top of 4 gear it felt like it got its second wind and 5th seaming to pull a lot longer about 6 seconds before it topped out. It also go very loud and punchy pulling 5 gear wheelies with ease.

Also the jetting was perfect with the open air-filter and just slightly lean when the ram was used.

Well that's my story. The mod was a success but not practicle because you had to be going about 60 MPH so it could work, if you used it off-road your filter and airbox would be a mess and it looked, like a rig.

Old 09-30-2002, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

OK just hook a hose to the air box drill a hole in your helmet and run the hose in then when you want boost blow![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have a question guys......

Ok, lets suppose "hypothetically" that this contraption works. Wouldn't it be absolutely impossible to tune it???? At the MOST, wouldnt a hair dryer or fan have 1 , 2 or maybe 3 speed settings. How you are gonna control flow rate. Lets say you've got a fan putting out 300 CFM. Are you gonna run that when your motor is at 2K RPM as well as 7K RPM. How the hell would that work? How the hell are you gonna get a 110V AC appliance to run on a quad. I doubt the battery ( what kind of quad are we talking about anyhow, i must have missed it ) or electrical system could withstand the draw that an AC/DC Inverter would pull.

The theory sounds good, but it doesn't work very well. I've actually seen a guy with a '99 WS6 that attempted tested this thought with a small lawn blower. Effect- sounds really weird, but no more go fast. Think about it, if it was really this easy, why do turbos and the such cost so damn much?????

I like the RAM AIR idea, but ive always thought that you would have be to hauling azz for it work, glad I saw someone test it out.

TRX250,
Do you think the results would have been different if you would have used a large pipe ( 5" ) that Y'd off into 2 openings in the front?

Nostradamus & Friends, if you try it, best of luck, please let us know what happens.

Old 09-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

To keep it at 0 psig, you put a pressure transducer either before or after the carburetor and have a PWM calibrated to increase/decrease blower speed based on the measurements.

Why don't people do it? because it's a lot of effort for a slight bit of gain.

Old 09-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

ok trx250rod and mr350sex or what ever ur names may be i dont know why u would come into a post just to put down someones ideas and maybe list some of your own how about u try being sumwhat Civilized and dont put down sum1s ideas just give your opinon and shut your mouth

p.s.-hondas are slow [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2002, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Razor, that would have been a good idea (the y joint) but way more advanced then some 15 year old kids (34 years old now) on a $10 budget could put together.

The R & D that lead up to the actual test was quite interesting. It involved making highspeed runs with thehose/funel attached to a hot water bottle to gauge the pressure. I'm sure a 5 inch hose would have been better but that would have been to big for the 185s airbox.

Quick Reply: hair dryer turbo??