Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2000, 01:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the midst of Doing the bearings On my
86 Lt250r Quadracer...

I cant get the sprocket off or the Brake rotor
side off either

I thought the nuts were tough to get off!

Any hints on how to get the sprocket off the splines?

Does it need a specialized tool?

I think the previous goof used red Loctite on the axle nuts too!

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Brent

bwpotts@attglobal.net

Old 03-31-2000, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

first make sure you have the rear caliper tied up out of the way then take the hubs off and put the nuts back on backwards so the notches are faceing the center run the nuts on til they are just flush with the end of the axle(so you can smack the end of the axle with a hammer and not mess up the threads)I'd spray both sides of the carrier with PB BLASTER or a good penetrating lubricant. make sure you have the rear end blocked up sturdy and wait ten minutes or so after you spray it.
hit it on one side then the other til the sprocket or the rotor works loose..if it's really siezed on there hit it a few times and then spray it again and repeat this until you can work it loose.
make sure you clean up the carrier and the axle real well before you install the new bearings

Old 04-10-2000, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

ZUki,
You may need to heat up the bolts and the hubs to get them off. A propane torch should do the trick. You may have to heat them and then use the above mentioned technique. Be careful though even with the axle's hub nuts on you can still mess up the thread. I usually leave the hub on one side, and I use a 2X4 which I drilled a large hole in to let the hub nut fit inside of it. I then hit the 2X4 with a sledge, by leaving the hub on you are not puting any force on the threads, And using the 2X4 you can't hit the bolts that hold the Rim on. You can use mechinics wire to tightly hold the 2X4 in place. MAKE SURE TO HIT THE BOARD SQUARE, AIM FOR THE HOLE THAT YOU DRILLED FOR THE CENTER NUT, HITTING OUTSIDE OF CENTER YOU MIGHT BEND THE HUB!

Old 04-13-2000, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

Actually,i just got in from the shop ,& I just put new sprockets on my 92 250r & the chain still keeps comin off & the axle carrier keeps sliding .I knew the bearings were causing this problem & i knew they were gone in the rear but they were getting so bad that it was dog legging down the road .I was thinking of buying them a long time ago ,so how much do bearings cost ? around $6.00-8.00?? american
ps i had no troubles whatsoever getting my hub off
or my sprocket off. did any1 else ever hear a loud screech sound come from the axle carrier??

Old 04-15-2000, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

Heres a good tip,I went to my local atv shop & they were gonna sell me a complete set of axle bearings & seals for $40 so i went down the road to a UAP NAPA store & got the same bearings & seals for only $25 so ,if your gonna get bearings get em at an auto parts store.

Old 04-15-2000, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanxx fer the advise I broke downandpaid 50 bucks to get it apart
Sucks not to have a compressor

Zuki