Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

eiger problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eiger problems

i have seen alot of post about eiger's sputtering or back firing. a budy of mine has had the same problems and the air box was sucking air and sometimes water around the cover . we blue glued the cover and problems stoped

Old 12-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default eiger problems

i have had the same problem before, mine backfires here and there...can it cause any problems? what is this blue glue your friend used? where can i get some? where exactly should i use it? thanks

Old 12-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default eiger problems

Mine has never done that (knock on wood), but I know a guy with an auto that backfires. That thing sounds like a high powered rifle going off. His came to the dealer jetted wrong, for outwest and never seemed to get it right. Mine stalled a couple of times when new and they found some dried fuel or something in the bowl of the carb. No probs since.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eiger problems

I had a few backfires (maybe 6 to 10 times total) during break-in, always when backing off the throttle while going downhill. Didn't make any changes or adjustments, backfires stopped happening after 100 miles.

Jaybee

Old 12-12-2002, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default eiger problems

blue glue is silicon gaskett maker any auto parts store has it . they only down fall is that you have to reapply it every time you open your air box . do this to check if yours is leaking take your seat off get the water hose and lightly run water along the edge of your air box cover for 15 seconds while the bike is running then stop turn the bike off dry the cover then open it if you have water inside your airbox leaks
drain it apply blue glue and that should be a quick fix. dont worry a little water will never go thru your filter but if you dont get it fixed your bike could take water in at a lower level then your snorkle i hope this helps it made a huge difference on my freinds before we fixed it it would not even take the gas when trying to go top speeds and it would backfire bad but the worse thing was taking in water when the water was deep enough to touch the seal around his airbox cover or bottom of his seat

Old 12-12-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default eiger problems

According to Dynojet's troubleshooting guide, backfires can usually be caused by a few things:
1. Too lean of an idle mixture
2. Exhaust leak
3. Vacuum leak

Sounds to me if it backfires when you let off the throttle, the carb is transitioning circuits from the needle circuit to the idle circuit. Try richening the idle mixture a quarter turn.

Glueing the airbox is kind of a radical approach to making the bike idle a little richer. Just richen the idle a touch and give it a try.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Old 12-14-2002, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default eiger problems

you are right . but the issue still remains that the airbox seal is still leaking and if you ride in alot of water
you can find your self drowning out alot easier possibly doing alot of dameage to your motor

Old 03-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default eiger problems

Check this also. A little different problem, but worth checking.

I experienced horrible cold weather starting with my 03 Eiger 400 4X4 but I found the problem. The problem is the air vent tube leading from the Keihin CVK32SS carburetor through a hole in the plastic bodywork terminating in a hole on the back side of the fuel tank plastic. My Eiger was assembled incorrectly by either Suzuki or my dealer. I am not sure who routes the line in question or when it occurs. The air vent line was routed to the edge of a plastic cover and bent hard around the corner instead of being routed through the as-designed hole that allows a smooth bend in the line. The 5 minutes of cold start warm up time everyone mentions is the key to finding the problem. When the air vent line is pinched and cold the ability to flow air through the tube is reduced. The air vent tube is located close to the exhaust header. It takes about 5 minutes for the area to warm up and then warm the air vent tube enough so it expands and relaxes the crimp allowing almost normal air to pass through it. I needed to replace the air vent line as it was permanently crimped and routed it correctly through the as-designed hole in the plastic cover. My Eiger would then start normally with full choke for only about 30 seconds accepting throttle inputs right after that. This was tested at 15 degrees Fahrenheit in Northern New York.

Good Luck