Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Aftermarket lighting on a Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket lighting on a Z

I recently put aftermarket lighting on my Z and I have a problem. The lights drain the battery too much after an hour or so of riding and I can start it. I have them wired to the battery. Is this wrong?? Will I have to get a more powerfull lighting system or what.....Any suggestions? My dealer says I need a new battery.

Old 12-15-2002, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket lighting on a Z

What lights? How many watts? Are you trying to run the stock lights at the same time?

Direct to the battery is ok - make sure you use a fuse, if the wire shorts out, you could have serious damage to your electrical system/wiring.

Your Z can handle 75 watts of lighting (total, not 75 watt aftermarket + stock light). Your battery should be ok, even if you have drained it a time or two. The quad is new enough where if the battery is bad, it was defective.

Good aftermarket lights will put out way more light (watt for watt) than stock lights. I would suggest running the aftermarket lights off your high beam switch and the stock lights on the low beam switch. This would allow you to push the limits with wattage on high beam (you can switch to low beam to give battery a bit more charge)