Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Is there something wrong with my Vinson 5 spd?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there something wrong with my Vinson 5 spd?!?!

I just bought a new Vinson 5 spd about a week ago. I am not sure if this is just part of the break in or if I should be worried. All of these things happen in high and low and in 2wd and 4wd. Sometimes when i'm in neutral and i go to shift to first, the gear shifter seems like it gets stuck. also if i come to a stop and lets say i'm in 3rd gear and I want to get to first gear, first the gear indicator will go blank and then sometimes it will pop in to gear or it wont engage until i give it gas. I have not had any problems shifting while i am driving, it just seems like everything shifts hard and sometimes the gear shifter gets stuck when i am trying to shift from neutral to 1st. I am not sure if this is just part of the breakin and everything will loosen up, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Is your idle set to spec? Try increasing your idle speed a touch. Sounds like the synchronizers aren't engaging while idling.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Old 04-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

I'm having that problem too does your shifting clank when shifting? I was messing around and found that if you move the shift lever rev to forward then reach down where the linkage for forward and reverse back by the rear of the gear box move the lever backwards and it shifts real smooth I'm trying to find a way right now to adjust it but I bet thats what you guys are have trouble with. give it a try it works for me but I'm gonna fix it so I don't have to reach down everytime I go from rev to forward. I believe it's getting hung up on the reverse gear some how let me know if that helps or if you found a way to adjust it.

Old 04-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

The shifting Problem on my vinson seems to be the lack of adjustment on the forward / reverse cable I've been messing around and found out that if I unclip the cable and move the cable flange to the other side of its mount which allows more travel towards the back of the gear shifter on the gear box it shifts nice and smooth through all of the gears. Suzuki needs to come up with an adjustable cable to fix the problem so as the bushing wears later we can adjust . try it and let me know if it helps the cable needs to be put back with the clip on the way it came, I was just trying out ideas to see if that would work