Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

If my crankseals are bad will it suck oil out the tranny and smoke bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If my crankseals are bad will it suck oil out the tranny and smoke bad?

Ok guys my 86' LT250R has been doing this for about 2 weeks. I think my crankseals are shot and I'm wondering would it cause my engine to have VERY little lowend and smoke like a 4-stroke burning alot of oil? I looked at the sparkplug and it's black with a lot of carbon deposit.
ANY info would be helpful.
Thanx
later, Superstar

Old 04-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

I had that same problme... but turn out i was too rich on the main jet... if u want try jetting a lil leaner and see if the problem is still there... maybe someone else can help with further info but through my experinces i was too rich on the main

Old 04-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Crank seals basically seal the crank-case from the outside (e.g. Stator & H2O pump) If you had a crank seal leaking, chances are that it would be much more lean than rich..
The only way you can get gear box oil into the crank case is with a crack in the case, or leaky gasket b/w the case halves.. (Very uncommon)

1st place I'd look would be your fuel... Is there any possibility that you could have put the wrong amount of oil in it?
Are the conditions similar to when it was running good? (e.g. Air Temp, Altitude, etc.)
If not, a major change in jetting could be needed.

good luck

Old 04-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

I've ran the factory 20:1 mixture for the first 2-3 months I've had it, then 32:1 after that, then tried the 40:1 my bro runs in his Zilla this last week and keeping the 200 as the main jet and verylittle to no difference. Also some more info, my idle screw is about all the way in just to get it to idle at a LOW rpm (guessing maybe 700rpm). Its not very resposive like it used to be. I'm running an LRD pipe and silencer. My air filter is clean and my coolant has been fine since I got it which was almost 2years ago. Could my reeds possibly be bad, my carb floats not working right or even my rings bad?
It like loads up bad when putting around and in 1st and second its boggy clears, out in third then is fine after that. Then when I'm going a good speed and let off then get ease into it its like stuttering till I give it about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and goes away for the most part and is all gone when I have it 3/4 to Wide Open Throttle.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanx
later
Superstar

Old 04-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: LT250RSuperstar
I've ran the factory 20:1 mixture for the first 2-3 months I've had it, then 32:1 after that, then tried the 40:1 my bro runs in his Zilla this last week and keeping the 200 as the main jet and verylittle to no difference.

There's your problem! You changed your mixture without re-jetting.. As silly as this may sound, the less oil you put in the mixture, the richer the mixture becomes (More fuel compared to oil)
(Just the opposite as to what you'd think)
you'll need to lean the pilot jet along with the main jet, and possibly change the needle too. What you described sounds more like the pilot and needle (Lower RPM and throttle position)
Running 20:1 doesn't hurt anything, neither does 50:1 depending on the oil mfg's recomendations.
(I run Amsoil Series 2000 at 50:1)
When I changed from 32:1 down to 50:1 I dropped 4 main jet sizes... I'm not saying that will be enough as each motor is different (Different mods, etc.).

Do some research here on the web and learn as much as you can about jetting... There's a TON of info out there... Don't be afraid to do it... it's not rocket science. Just be careful, because a lean motor, is a dead one. I always err on the rich side, and take baby steps until I get where I want to be.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

theres a crank oil seal right on the oil side of the engine. how can you say it wont suck oil?

Old 04-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah it (the seal) goes on the crank balancer. I'm gonna try rejetting it and maybe lower the needle one clip if can.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

You can definatly be sucking trans oil on a suzuki. One seal is in the gear case the other is on the stator. Check you trans oil to see if its low.

Old 05-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't checked it but I have noticed that the shifting isn't as smooth as it used to be.
I gonna go check it and I will reply later with the verdict.
later
Superstar

Old 05-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Off the subject here a lilttle, but i was wondering if anyone knows how much oil the crankcase holds on the lt250r, mines an 86, not sure if the year matters or not. Thanks for your time.

Quick Reply: If my crankseals are bad will it suck oil out the tranny and smoke bad?