Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

atc500r?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atc500r?

any body ever done this if so is there any tips you would like to share

Old 10-28-2007, 05:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default atc500r?

twb1984250r i've never seen an atc with anything bigger than a 350 2 or four stroke engine on an atc before , but i guess anything's possible ; but i wouldn't want to be the first one to test ride it ! Shoot i couldn't even ride my cousin's 85' Honda ATC 350 BigRed , i just couldn't get the hang of riding a three wheeler ; because of the way the front wheel didn't want to stay on the ground and wanted to dive and plow the ground instead of going straight ! The first time i ever rode a Motorcycle was on my cousin's Montessa 250 dirt bike in 1967 when i was 14 yrs. old , a Moto - Cross Bike set up for hill climbing with a rear sprocket that was almost as big as the rear wheel ; we clocked it once with my cousin following me in a 1965 Ford Galaxy 500 when we took off my cousin said that when he hit 70 mph in the Ford the Montessa was still pulling away ! When all of a sudden all he could see was black smoke and he said he told his wife Jane he blew it up , but the black smoke started when the back wheel locked up ; Man that was a thrill ride i just kept it straight and lucky for me i came to a stop just as i was about to go into this sharp curve ! I came so close to the curve that i ran out of pavement and traveled a few feet on the grass of the shoulder of the road before it stopped , now that was a scary ride the bike had mud caked up on the frame from trying to ride out to this Chirp - Pit ( a Chirp - Pit is like a Rock Quarry where they mine for Rock ; only a Chirp - Pit is where they dig for Red Georgia Clay to make brick's ) to ride on the hill's at the Chirp - Pit when it happened ! My cousin Dave had told his brother Charlie about this place to ride near his house , it was a saturday and we all wanted to go riding ; so we haulded the Montessa to Dave's house in the back of his truck ! Then Dave rode the Montessa to the road that led to the Chirp - Pit , with Me , Charlie and his wife Jane following Dave in the Ford to this road that was about 2 mile's out the hiway to the entrance of the Chirp - Pit ; it had rained a few day's before we went to this place and Dave only knew of the place because he had seen other rider's at the Chirp - Pit about a month before he told us about it ! But when we got there Dave started out the road to the Chirp - Pit and he made it only about 5 yard's before the Red Clay started sticking to the tire's and clogged up the trie's to the fender's and got stuck , now Dave is a clean freak and he hate's to get his hand's dirty or get anything on his pant's shirt or shoe's ; so what happen's is when the bike got stuck in the mud he was ready to go home ! So Charlie start's calling Dave a woos and a baby that was afraid to get a little dirt on his hand's , So Dave is trying to get the red dirt from his shoe's while Charlie and myself are trying to dig the Clay from the fender well's ; only to get another 5 yard's and it's clogged again ! And Dave take's a step and the Red Clay suck's his shoe off and he step's in the mud in his sock's , and this is the last straw for Dave he goes back to the car to sit and wait on us to ride untill we call it quit'sfor the day ; we would get about 6 yard's and have to dig the mud from the fender well's again and again ! Untill we got to within 10 yard's from the hill's we were going to ride , to where we finally gave up it was just to muddy ; we all got our shoe's sucked off in this Red Georgia Clay that day ! Only we didn't Bi**ch and moan about it , like Dave did and he didn't want to ride the bike back home ; when we got bike back to the pavement ! Cousin Charlie cleaned the mud from the fender well's on the rear with a peice of pine tree branch , and i cleaned the front he didn't get enough of the mud from the rear wheel ; but i cleaned the mudd from the front fender if i hadn't cleaned the front wheel myself i hate to think what may have happened if Charlie had done the front instead of the rear ! I sludder to think what if the front wheel had locked up on me first , Charlie said that with he realized that the wheel locked up instead of the engine blowing ; he said he had this picture of them scrapping off what was left of me from the pavement ! But by that time i had grow up to where i could place both feet flat on the ground with the bike sitting up straight , when i first started to riding it at 14 yrs. old i had to lean it a little over to the side to get one foot on the ground and Charlie had to hold the bike and give me a push to get me rolling ; and he had to chatch me when i came to a stop to keep from dropping it ! After getting use to the Montessa a friend we would go riding with Son had a mini bike with a 5 hp Briggs & Stration engine asked me if i wanted ride it down the driveway , i saiid sure he started telling me what to do and what not to do he said sometimes the throddle would stick i i would have to twist the hand throddle to let off the gas ; and i thought if i could ride a bike as big as Charlie's big Montessa 250 i could ride this little toy with no problem ! But man i was so wrong , i liked to have killed myself on this little toy ; i mean this thing was all over the driveway so bad i had to lay it down in the grass when i ran out of driveway ! Now brother that was imbarissing to see and they ragged me about this for year's , about this little toy getting the best of me ; the next time we went down to their place they asked if i wanted to ride the mini bike i passed ! Back to the three wheeler's my brother and cousin's could ride them , but i lost both leg's just below the knee's in an automobile accident in 1975 trying to help a friend push his dad's car out of the road when he ran out of gas ; when a car came up behind me and caught me between the bumper's taking both leg's just below the knee's ! If it weren't for that i could've learned to ride one , but even then i wouldn't want to be the test pilot for a 500r on an ATC ! The first time i rode with a cousin and a few of our friend's to the mountain's of north ga, one of the guys had a Honda 350 Odessey with the full rollcage with the 4 point saftey restraights it had a custom built engine that was putting out over 100 hp and a belt drive to boot , this guy was a nut it was easy for me to follow his track's because there were 2 scratch marks from the posistive traction of the Odessy in the dirt all the way to a sharp curve and as soon as he came out of the one curve there were more scratch marks to follow to next curve ; and this was 2 mile's of winding dirt road to where the main trail head start's ! There were 5 of us counting me and i had my 86' Honda TRX 350 Foreman 4c4 wide open just trying to keep the Odessey's headlight's insight ! The Odessey was in front with 2 guy's on Honda 250r dirt bikes my cousin on a Honda TRX 250 2x4 and me lagging behind on my 86' Honda TRX 350 Foreman Fulltime 4x4 , i was trying to keep up untill i almost lost it in one of the sharp curve's ; then i just slowed to a safe speed ! It was the first time i had riden this trail system before and we were on this main dirt road going up the moutain for 2 miles that lead's to the trail's , but i didn't need a map to follow their track's ; because even on the trail's with the speed bump's there were these scratch marks to follow everytime that thing touched the ground ! I just knew around the next curve i would come around to see one or more of these guy's would be wrapped around a tree or gone off a cliff these trail's are wicked and some of the most rockiest terrain in north west ga. , it was a miracle that they didn't run into a downed tree across the trail because it was in the dead of winter the temp's were in the teen's and they hadn't been on the trail's in over 6 month's ; and here they were going at such a break neck speed and dark to top it off ! Needless to say i never went riding with them again , i told my cousin that i would never ride with them again ; and he told me that the group told him that they didn't want me to come riding with them anymore because they had to wait on me to much and that they had to ride the dirt bike's fast to keep them from overheating ! I told my cousin to let me know when they ever planned on going riding on the same trail's that i might be on to warn me so i wouldn't be on the same trail system that they were on , my cousin told me he would never ride with them again either ; and he didn't he blew the engine a few day's later after trying to leep up with them that night ! So i guess a 500r on an ATC would be like the Honda Odessey if you could keep the front wheel on the ground , i just wouldn't want to be the test pilot or the co-pilot on the first test flight ; even if i had both leg's to ride it ! But it would be a bad to the bone ATC that's for sure ! ...................

Old 10-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default atc500r?

well i saw a guy on here named kelsey and he has one on his page and it looks sweet

Old 10-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default atc500r?

i think TIGER made a 500 2stroke three wheeler back in the day. ROTAX engines in them. Tigers are very rare to come by.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default atc500r?

heres a article on one.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default atc500r?

i have a tiger 250 and ive had some huge offers on it but i absolutley love that bike and its fully restored too