Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting problem

i have a '96 kaw..lakota (same drivetrain as bayou),let neighbor use it for a week,now don't shift right.for those not familar this these atv's they have auto-clutch and manual shift,neutral all the way down and to shift into reverse you turn **** on dash and down shift from neutral, here is what it does now, when down shifting from 3rd gear or above it stops shifting at 3rd gear and to go to any lower gears you must turn **** and continue down shifting but it doesn't stop at neutral but goes all the way to reverse if you keeping shifting.the neutral and reverse lights will not come on at all.the starter does not work but i think it has something to do with the neutral light not coming on since it can only be started in neutral or vise-versa,but it can be started by pull starting but i am getting tired of doing that everytime my son wants to ride.so if anyone has any ideas that could help,,,,please help...it has been a great atv never had a single problem until now