Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

electrical know how?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:36 AM
legleg339
Default electrical know how?

howdy , id like some info on charging voltages and such on a 110 cc quad mines got a loncin motor running a 12v system, the lights are everyday kinda thing youd use in the tail lights of your car , dual filament for the rears and single for the front , low wattage for lows and a higher for the high beam i was wondering what sort of voltage it should be producing to keep the battery charged and also how i can test the rectifier, regulator, and stator coils , at the moment it runs the battery flat if i use the lights , i have taken one of the 5 wires off the stator and run it straight to my high beams so they are nice and bright but i think ive made the charging prob worse , is there a way to beef up my power supply without spending a butt load of money ? im in australia so any bnits i get will most likely have to come from overseas so any backyard mods i can would be great , any ideas?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"NORMALY" at the battery running 2-3000 rpms you should have over 14 volts. Coming out of the stator should be at least 18 vac. Lead to lead on a stator should be a fairly low resistance reading like 6-8 ohms. Do not know how you would be able to boost your system. I take it that there has been some mods done already. A stator will only put out so much wattage. I know you can get aftermarket stators for some machines but that may cross over into the buttload area.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 AM
legleg339

i checked the stator at the connectors coming out of the housing i get about 25v ac at the battery terminals i get around 6v dc at idle and havent been able to get much more than that , is there a a way to test rectifiers and regulators ? nothing much in the way of mods mechanically stock except for the exhaust which being a cheap chinese model the baffles came apart so i cut the end off the muffler and pulled the guts out lol sounds good tho and elec wise all ive done is simplify the rest of the lighting wiring si i dont have so much extra junk laying around everything else is stock tho i havent changed anything to do with the stator etc cos i dont know a great deal about them im new to the quad bike scene having come from working in a police garage things are a bit different lol i measured the stator at 5 ohms so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated cos im wearing out batteries and chargers lol