Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Lubricating Suspension Part

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lubricating Suspension Part

I have a honda recon, and my girlfriend has a 250ex. I do regular maintenance like oil changes, etc. but I don't know how to lube the A-arm pivot points or the ball joints. There is no zerk fitting so I can't just give a pump of grease. Do these parts just need to be replaced? That sounds expensive. The suspensions on both quads squeak a good amount now after several years of riding in dusty terrain.

Does anyone know what's done on the suspension of these machines to keep them in top shape?

I've looked in the threads and have only found recommendations to grease the parts, but no instructions on how to do it...

Thanks,

Paul

Old 06-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

You grease the ball joints and tie rod ends with a 'Grease Needle' attachment that you put on the end of your regular grease gun. You DO NOT actually 'pierce' the rubber boots - you go 'under' the rubber boots at either end of the boot. Here is a link to a picture of one (this one seems expensive - I think that they go for $8 to $10;

Grease Gun Needle Picture

As far as the 'A' Arms go - you usually have to remove the 'bolts' and then get grease into the joint area that the bolt came out of (needle might be good for this also) then reinsert the bolt and re-tighten the nut (maybe cleaning grease off bolt threads and then using 'blue' loctight), for all eight 'A' arm bolts.

While you are at it you should also 'take apart' and grease the 'rear swing arm bolt and bushings/bearings' ( the 'really big long bolt' that the swing arm pivots on).

Oh yes, then do the same to all three shock mounting bolts (top & bottom), along with cleaning the grease off the bolt threads and using 'blue' loctight on each of these.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome!

Thanks for a straightforward and clear answer. Much appreciated...

Paul