Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

2006 Hawkeye belt slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Hawkeye belt slipping?

My 2006 Hawkeye 4X4 seems to have a slipping drive belt. I bottomed out in deep water, but was able to get off and push enough to get going again while I kept the engine running. Everything seemed fine. I made it back to the truck, but when I tried to drive up the ramps to load up, the bike was not going anywhere. The engine reved, but the bike just sat there. I'm not finding any info in the manual or online. I guess I can remove the cover with no problem to check things out, but how do I prevent this from happening in the future? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Jack up the rear end and run the engine in neutral for a few minutes. Then place in forward and see if the clutch starts grabbing hold of the rear tires. May take a little time to dry out the water as there isn't a cover drain plug on the 2006 model. The only other alternative is to remove the cover and let it air dry. Look here on your model under "clutch cover" and you can see where water can enter.Browse Water can enter through the clutch cover rubber seal ,the clutch air intake or exhaust tubes. Some serious mudders seal the clutch cover,but is tough to get back off if you do so. OPT

Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Smile Drained and Dry

Wow OPT! Thanks for the parts catalog. That's a handy item to have and is now a favorite of mine. I did wind up taking off the cover and, of course, there was a fair amount of muddy water. I cleaned up everything and air dryed the unit. Although I did not start up the bike to see how she's doing, I'll bet everything is just fine now. I think the water came in through the inlet and/or outlet boot duct. I did see a YouTube video this afternoon where someone said this could happen. When I disassembled the bike, I saw the ducts and the catalog shows them as well. Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have the same problem but i sealed it up and water still gets in? and i have no idea where