Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

110 Chinese ATV No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 110 Chinese ATV No Spark

I just bought a ATV for the grand kids. It has no spark. The previous owner replaced all the electronics from a $60 Amazon kit which included a 4 pin CDI, stator, voltage regulator, ignition switch, wiring harness, key cylinder and starter solenoid. Something isn't right obviously. The stator is a two coil type with a pick up for the added bit of metal on the flywheel. I understand that the 4 pin CDIs are DC and the 5 pin CDIs are AC. From what I've seen, the wires coming from the stator are as follows; green=ground, yellow, white and blue/white stripe=charging and black with red stripe=ac signal for the CDI. On my stator, all the colors match these, but the Black/red wire is Red with a black stripe. The wiring harness going to the CDI is four pin with no middle bottom wire for the kill switch. The CDI is 4 pin.

I'm wondering if the stator is an AC or DC stator and if the CDI is correctly matched to the stator. I really don't know how to identify a AC or DC stator. The one in the motor looks like most of the "fits almost all Chinese ATVs" stators being sold and fits properly in the motor's housing. It has two rectangular coils. Its not the kind that looks like a radial airplane engine.

I've ordered a 5 pin CDI in hopes that this is the issue, but I'm really wondering if that could be it. I did see an Amazon listing for a similar looking stator that said the blue/white wire goes to the CDI and that red/black goes to the voltage regulator. Kind of scary that there might be no uniformity in these parts, but I suspect its just bad information in the listing.

I'll try the 5 pin CDI when it arrives, but since all the electronics were bought as a kit, I'm thinking they've matched up the CDI with the stator and that somehow it produces DC (I see no rectifier on it).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize that I probably posted this in the wrong section. For the sake of saving the guy what might be tempted to reply to my post, I'm letting you know that I got it to fire. The problem was that the ATV had gotten wet and that there was a bunch of corrosion in the stator housing so that the stator was not making a good ground. I cleaned the corrosion and moved the hall effects sensor (trigger) closer to the flywheel. This seems to have done the trick and I got spark. I should have known it was a ground issue as I was getting wandering resistance readings on the wires coming out of the stator. And the red/black wire from the stator connected to the black/red wire on the wiring harness to make it work.

The following users liked this post:
jon b (06-03-2021)