1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

156FMI-2 Chinese engined bike - No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 03:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 156FMI-2 Chinese engined bike - No Spark

Hey all!

Hoping some of you knowledgeable folk can help me out? I have a 2016 CCW (Sinnis) heist bobtail chopper....I know...not an ATV, but Chinese motor etc and you guys seem to know more about these motors than the bike forums do!
I bought it as a fixer upper, with no electrics....had had a loom meltdown, so the previous owner had stripped out the entire loom, bar the stator.
I found a wiring diagram for the bike, and it's a DC setup (electric start, battery etc) with a 6 pin cdi, so I bought a wiring kit that is meant to be for a 156FMI motor....came with ignition barrel, 8 coil stator, 6pin CDI, regulator, coil, starter switch and run/kill switch.
Fitted it all up and I now have it cranking over but it doesn't matter what I try, I can't get a spark at the (brand new) plug.
I've disconnected the kill switch black/white pin from the CDI connector...no difference so I don't think it's a switch issue. If I test the stator wires I get around 50v AC on the red/black power wire, but nothing on the blue/white trigger wire except for a quick pulse when I release the start button. It's the 3rd brand new stator I've tried now and same deal with all 3. The pickup is the fixed kind so I can't adjust the clearance to the flywheel...where it sits is where it sits.
I'm kinda going round in circles now and getting nowhere.....can anyone (Lynn Edwards? lol) give me some pointers to try, as right now I'm kinda running out of tether and I want to burn the thing! 😂
Thanks in advance

Old 11-22-2019, 04:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 345 Likes on 336 Posts

Lynn seems to have gone from the forums, but you have a contradiction in your post. DC ignition gets the power direct from the battery so no "power wire" from the stator. Anyway, if all is new and AC based, it should work. I wonder if the flywheel is for a different stator setup, making the trigger coil too far away.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Lynn seems to have gone from the forums, but you have a contradiction in your post. DC ignition gets the power direct from the battery so no "power wire" from the stator. Anyway, if all is new and AC based, it should work. I wonder if the flywheel is for a different stator setup, making the trigger coil too far away.
Ive just realised that myself ....sorry, rookie here 😂🙄 yeah, it's AC...there is no DC power on the red/black, but around 50v AC when cranking. It had a three phase 11 pole stator fitted when I got it.....would that be a likely scenario? Would kinda make sense tbh, as I don't seem to get anything at all on the trigger wire and the pickup is the non adjustable kind. Appreciate you taking the time to respond ☺

Old 11-22-2019, 04:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, I did reply but it seems to have vanished into the ether, so apologies if you get two replies saying much the same thing 😂
i realised just as I read your reply that yes, it's an AC setup....no DC on the red/black with the ignition on but around 50v AC when cranking.
It's funny you mention the stator...it had an 11 pole 3 phase one when I got it but it was in a bad state so I trashed it and ordered this kit that I have now....supposed to be correct to my engine type though, but it's an 8 pole stator with 4 wire regulator. Would make a lot of sense though that if it had an 11 pole previously, then the flywheel would be matched to the trigger for that?
Thanks for taking the time to help me out, it's appreciated ☺