Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How do you like your Carson ToyBox?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like your Carson ToyBox?

tm leader: No it doesn't I have some literature and the 7000 gvw is for the ultralites and up to 20'. The gvw for the bigger ones starts at 10k and tops out at 15k.

eman: yep that's me. I'm not totally adverse to a portable gen, but I'm a spoiled rotten gal and just want to flip a switch rather than have to set something up and then bring it in at night. Theft of something that expensive and that portable is also an issue. I've also heard differing opinions that unless you get a built in generator you need to rewire the thing to accept an outside one. Is this true? I also dont' mind paying premium (i.e. carson asking 3100 for a generator compartmetn, wiring and the generator) versus half that much for a portable one just for the convenience. I just need to know whether it can be done - putting a built in gen on a 16'?

Old 01-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: katstoy
tm leader: No it doesn't I have some literature and the 7000 gvw is for the ultralites and up to 20'. The gvw for the bigger ones starts at 10k and tops out at 15k.

eman: yep that's me. I'm not totally adverse to a portable gen, but I'm a spoiled rotten gal and just want to flip a switch rather than have to set something up and then bring it in at night. Theft of something that expensive and that portable is also an issue. I've also heard differing opinions that unless you get a built in generator you need to rewire the thing to accept an outside one. Is this true? I also dont' mind paying premium (i.e. carson asking 3100 for a generator compartmetn, wiring and the generator) versus half that much for a portable one just for the convenience. I just need to know whether it can be done - putting a built in gen on a 16'?
So at this http://www.tomsrv.com/fcb_deluxe_front_bed.htm site the 7000 is for the ultra light version? Its 30.6' long from the discription (total length) should I assume that its 10K starting weight not 7K like stated?

Old 01-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe. The literature I have at home is direct from Carson, and I seem to recall that on the front beds the GVW started at 10k. There are also some errors in the carson literature though. I got two types of brochures from Carson. One was the nice glossy professionally printed stuff that had all the models and the general GVW for the sizes. They didn't go into specifics on each model and size. Then I got a computer printed paper that is just like the one on the Toms RV web site but for the ultra lites, not the front bedrooms. On all the ultralites and the smaller front ktiches and smallest front bath the GVW is 7k.

There are some errors in teh Carson paper work. I was checking out the standard front kitchens ove teh ultralite front kitches as it seems like it's a better value on the 18'fk for about $11k with everything but a generator. However, the literature said the UVW was 4000, the carson dealer said it was 4760. Check out www.carsontrailer.com, they have all the specs there too. The prices seem to be the same there as in the other web site.

As for total length subtact about 4 feet for tongue, so your looking at a 26' Check out the tom's inventory section where the 26's show a uvw of about 6300, so the gvw can't be only 7000. 10k seems more like it.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tmleadr03
The frontrunner with front bed 26 ft says the gross weight (trailer plus load) is 7000 lbs. Does that sound right?
I went home last night and checked the brochure. It says that the GVW for the front bed ranges from 10k to 15k. The smallest size for the front bed is 26'

Old 01-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have to admit, I absolutely hate getting up from being all confortable at bedtime to go out in the cold and start the generator, and vice versa in the morning....the Onboards inside start and stop is a thing of beauty..to be sure.

But then again the portable doesn't vibrate the trailer at all, cause it's in the dirt...

Old 01-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmm . . . a vibrating trailer, now tha can be a good thing!

I think I'm going to window shop tomorrow. I started checking into weekend warriors . . but do I want to spend the extra $5 large?

Old 01-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: katstoy
Hmmm . . . a vibrating trailer, now tha can be a good thing!
To some people, that could be a new selling point[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by: katstoyI think I'm going to window shop tomorrow. I started checking into weekend warriors . . but do I want to spend the extra $5 large?
Personally, if I could afford the extra 5k, I wouldn't hesitate[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

To me, they appear to be the leader in the industry. Their craftsmanship, detailing and materials look top notch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] when you compare them to other trailers. I've looked at just about every toy trailer out there and come to the conclusion, if I can afford to buy the weekend warrior, I will. This is just my opinion. Everyone has one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and some might say, it's not worth the extra.

Bottom line, if your buying a trailer to have for a very long time, I would get the one that fits your needs and your pocket book.