Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Truck or Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 04:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck or Trailer?

I was wondering how weveryone hauled there ATV around? I hual mine in the back of a truck; is that good or should would an investment in a trailer be wise?

By the way I haul it in a "91' Chevy Silverado " (extended cab)

Old 05-13-2004, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider

Depends on how many I am hauling. If i load up all 4, 3 go on the trailer and 1 in the truck bed. I wouldnt give up my trailer for anything (other than maybe a longer one to eliminate having to put one in the truck bed).

Old 05-13-2004, 05:28 AM
Pro Rider

It depends, if I am just going by myself (no family) I just load it in the back of the truck. If I go with the family, I pull the haulmark enclosed. If it is just you and you have good ramps to load it, the truck is fine. But it is nice not to have to get the quad clear up in the back of a truck.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

I dented the bed of my truck hauling my quad. Wish I would have just stuck to the trailer. I never can get it tied down tight enough in the back of the truck, like I can in the trailer.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

I've bent the front of the pan running my warrior in, bent the tail gate when the ramps slipped out from under the quad .. 400lbs of quad plus 170lbs of rider on a little mazda b2200 gate .. hooo . not too bad though .. all things considered!!

I'll be trailering this weekend, but not with my truck .. afraid I'd tear the bumper off .. it's pretty rusty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Going to use the car, since I'll have my bud with me too .. can't fit both Warriors in the pan ..

Old 05-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Range Rover

I haul mine in the bed of my F-350. I am looking into utility trailers, however. Something large enough to haul 2 quads but nothing overly large. That way, if I need to, I can hitch it to the Artic Cat and use it that way.

Someone mentioned denting the bed and tailgate.

To keep it from smacking the back of the bed I built a block to hold the atv off of the bed front wall. Basically it is 2 boxes made out of a 2x6 (may have been a 2x8) that I strung together with a piece of scrap. Kind of looks like an old fashioned dumbell. I place the boxes up in the nose of the bed. The front tires rest against the boxes which spaces it off the bed wall. I made the boxes taller than the middle of the tire to make it difficult, if not impossable, for the atv to roll up and over. I then strap it down at the 4 corners.

As for ramps falling off the tail gate, mine have cables and hooks that attach to the bumper to help prevent that from happeing.

Old 05-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

well I have a back deck on my house it 30x30 so it pretty big it about 3 - 4 feet off the ground at one end its about 1 foot off the ground at the other end. (and the tailgate of the truck is about 4 feet off the ground.) so I ride it (with ramps) up onto the deck at the low end and into the bed of the truck at the high end so I've never really had a problem with the ramps but as for tieing it down I tend to agree its hard to tie it down in the bed of my gramps truck.
So for saftey reasons I should buy a trailer?

how much should I be willing to spend?

P.S. My ATV is a "Yamaha BearTracker 04' " (for size reference)

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

My friend has a 2000 GMC and one of his tailgate straps broke the other day when he opened it. He said that there was a recall on those so inspect those straps. I always look at mine. I have a Sportsman 500 and with me and the atv being @1000 lbs. I don't like trusting those straps. I prefer to use my trailer.

Old 05-16-2004, 03:33 AM
Quad Patrol

Yes there is a recall on the tail gate straps on GMC products and the 2000 is one of the models effected by it. The letter I received said to check with your dealer to set up an appt. but don't expect the dealers to have new straps until mid summer. So, basically the letter said to stop using your tailgate until the dealer can replace the straps. They acknowledged the problem and warned you to stop using the tailgates. Therefore, technically they, cannot be held liable if the straps break if you continue to use the tailgate.

Old 05-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

If I had a big enough bed to haul my quad then I would always use my truck...I hate having to hook up my little trailer then hauling it around that way...if you haul more then one quad then a trailer is great....as for the ramps slipping...ya, my buddie just bought a brand new F-150 extended cab...4x4 with off road package...real nice truck..but he when to ride his 400ex up the ramps..the ramps slipped out..and well...he has a nice dent in his tailgate...bout made him sick....if you get ramps..get the ramps that have the chains you latch on so they can slip out...

Quick Reply: Truck or Trailer?