Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

standard beds and fifth wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default standard beds and fifth wheels

Would like some feedback on pulling a fifth wheel with a standard size bed. I plan on a GM 2500 HD diesel and a 30 ft. ragen. They tell me I would need a sliding fifth wheel so I can park without hitting the back of the truck. I wonder about just turning corners however I do not care for the looks of a long bed since this will be a crew cab as well. What do you think about this set up?

Old 06-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Did a little quick research. Google is your friend. Try out 'hitch fifth-wheel "short bed"' (note, only put quotes around "short bed" so it will look for those two words together.)

Sliding hitches are recomended for short beds. Long beds are recommended for fifth wheels. The reason is thus. The hitch should be between the rear axle and the cab. I'm going to assume to help get some of the pin weight on the front axle. Up to 30% of a fifth-wheel trailer weight is on the pin in the truck. In combination with the slider is the use of a 13" extended pin box from the front of the trailer. The hitch will slide 10" to the rear, in effect pushing it behind the rear axle. This isn't good for highway driving, but it fine for tight space maneuvering (in a campground for example.) The goal is to be able to get the truck and trailer at a 90 degree angle to each other.

I would think on most sharp turns you will be ok. If the turn is tight enough that you need to slide it, you'll be going slow enough around the corner to stop, slide it back and continue on.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-09-2004, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. My concern or actually my hope is to get some replies from someone who has this configuration.I understand the positioning of the weight etc. I have considered a towable but they tell me the 5th wheel cant be beat for handling etc. How difficult to slide? I guess it could be a pain in the butt but Im hesitant to get a long bed.

Old 06-09-2004, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

They are pretty easy to slide, some even do it automatically. You might want to go check out rv.net. Tons of people over their with 5th wheels and short bed trucks. And a toyhauler section.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I took your advice, someone had already posted the questions that I had so it was a real nice read..