Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Towing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:53 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing question

i need to get a new truck because i want to get a toy hauler, i really dont want to spend too much because the truck will be a second car i'm really looking at the Nissan Titan because of the price/towing cap. heres my question, the titans towing capacity is 9100lbs. but what do u guys think the actual amount it could tow well is? most toy haulers are heavy without liquids even in them and in california i will most likely have to tow up hills no matter where i go. any ideas of what haulers to look at with that setup?

Old 07-20-2004, 03:55 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Towing question

I did an EXTREMELY detailed post on towing a toy box with a Toyota Tundra on this thread. Go over and read that.

You will need one of the super light trailers. "Towing Capacity" is a big *** fat lie in my opinion. That's the maximum possible under ideal conditions. And if you're in CA you can't get all that far without pulling a hill which will tax your tow vehicle more than anything.

Go through the calculation on my post as I did for the Tundra replacing the information there with information for the Titan. Please post the results back here for posterity. The post is about halfway down the page and has a warning at the top about a long post.

Best of luck.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Range Rover
Default Towing question

i have a question is the GVWR of the trailer the dry weight or weight with liquids

Old 07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Towing question

<Whips out the Vehicle Code>

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: Gross Combination Weight Rating

350. (a) “Gross vehicle weight rating” (GVWR) means the weight specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.
(b) Gross combination weight rating (GCWR) means the weight specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination or articulated vehicle. In the absence of a weight specified by the manufacturer, GCWR shall be determined by adding the GVWR of the power unit and the total unladen weight of the towed units and any load thereon.

(I wish I could remember where I seen someone posted that the state doesn't have a concept of GCWR. Hmmm, seems it says so right there (and other places...like 15210(g).))

That means the MAXIMUM under any circumstance that the vehicle could be loaded to. This will be stamped, noted, etc. on the vehicle label. Cars, trucks, etc. will be on the driver's door/frame somewhere. On a trailer, it's on the tongue or left-front of the vehicle. Either the side panel or front panel.

For trailer coaches (a toy box or travel trailer as DMV knows them) the actual trailer needs to be weighed. The listings by the manufacturer as to what they weigh is w/o, or with specific options. See if you can get your dealer to weigh it for you as a condition of sale.

Old 07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing question

Go search www.titantalk.com

I have read most of the reviews/shootouts and the Titan looks to be the most capable 1/2 ton for towing larger loads. Much more than a wimpy Tundra. There are several people on that forum towing in the 7000-7500lb range. Keep your toy hauler under 5000lbs and you should be fine with the Titan.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Towing question

They are towing 7,000 lbs? Friggin idiots. Hope they blow their rigs up w/o killing someone.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Towing question

That is my problem with the smaller trucks, they rate a titan at 9100 lbs, and my dually diesel ford is rated at 14,500 I think. It's not always getting thing moving it's also about stopping safely, especially out west. Believe me pulling a travel trailer is like pulling a barn door to boot, they create a ton of drag. The other thing against pulling a travel trailer, is the high center of gravity, you will feel this with not too strong of winds, god forbid you meet a 18-wheeler on a 2 lane on a windy day! You may not wreck, but it will wake you up. I know a lot of people pull BIG loads with their half ton this brand or that brand, but please don't do it around me.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Towing question

That's exactly the question. Can it tow it safely????

Old 07-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Towing question

Originally posted by: Trasher
That's exactly the question. Can it tow it safely????

that is all I think about,,,,screw the numbers

People should always go large on the tow vehicle. ,,,,,,and have electric brakes

Old 07-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Towing question

Yep, safely is the key. CA even has what I like to call a f*** you law on weight. To the tune that you can't load a vehicle unsafely. You go over on a weight, guess what, it's not safe. Much like the Basic Speed Limit Law (or whatever it's name is.)

This fall will see a big move in the weights on Ford's F-350. It will increase to 16,500lbs towing. Should be with 5th wheels only. I don't know of any bumper system that will hold that. Also, they will have an available brake controller installed and integrated (i.e. A.B.S) from the factory.

On the brake issue, CA requires brakes on trailers on at least one axle over 3,000 lbs(1/1/1966 or 6,000lbs 1/1/40) VC 26302(b) & (a) respectively. 26303 requires brakes on 1,500lbs or greater on trailer coaches and trailer campers (toy boxes are included).

My '91 Sonoma requires them on loads over 1,000lbs. So you can see where the manufacturer is tighter than state law. A coworker had a second axle changed on a hydraulic lift trailer for $190! I'd say that's a pretty damn good investment. And he pulls that with a '97 F-250HD Supercab (not Crew) SB 4x4 460 gas.

Quick Reply: Towing question