Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Has anybody installed an RV gen in their RV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody installed an RV gen in their RV?

I would only put a onan or another generator made specifically for compartment use in a R.V. I would hate to loose a multi-thousand dollar rig, just because I was to cheap to put in the proper generator, just to save a few bucks. And, I've only seen one generator that was remote started and that was a Honda unit. Don't know how hard it would be built or add a push button for one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2004, 02:58 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Wiring a remote start switch should be relatively easy. All you would need is a normally open momentary contact type pushbutton switch, some primary wire (automotive wire) of the necesarry length, and some Scotchlok or ring terminals or whatever is on the genset and wire the switch in parallel with the existing start switch. Of course this does require a generator with a battery and starter (or you're going to need to wire up another cable to pull 12V from the trailer batteries.)

If you want a nice jacketed cable use some trailer brake wiring loom. It's made to withstand just about anything you're going to put at it, and could just be coiled back up. You could probably also use some kind of connectors, like a 4-pin flat for a trailer, to make it basically a cord set that you could take off when you didn't need it. With the 4 pin flat would also give you an extra conductor for something like a low oil light as well. Otherwise you might be able to use some type of Belden multi-wire cable that would be appropriate for the use. No clue on which one. They make hundreds of different cables.

For the gen starter you would only need 2 conductors. One the lead bringing in the +12V to the switch. The switch leg would then be the other leg. Any other wiring would just be accessory type of stuff.

I've seen some generacs with electric start on them. You could look for a genset that has the ability to hook up to an Automatic Transfer Switch for a house. That should have some kind of terminal on the genset to start it up. And possibly oil, temp and maybe fuel.

* If you buy an ATS please have a qualified/licensed electrician/contractor install it and notify you electric utility company. You don't want to backfeed into the utility company. Electricity goes both ways...including through a transformer. IE you can put 12,000 Volts out on the main lines (if it went through a step down transformer)!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-08-2004, 03:24 AM
Quad Patrol

I should of known to ask you how to do that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Thanks for the info. For my Honda 5000[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]I would need to do way to much for the convenience it would provide. Of course, I'll probably think of this thread, when I'm in the next storm trying to start the gennerator in the wind and rain[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

This is what I'm talking about, I haven't called Onan yet to check but I believe it's intended to go in to the compartment as is and the only requirements are exhaust piping to the outside, a fuel tank and of course proper wiring for the genny controls and power wiring to the trailer it's self (not a problem for myself as I am a electrician with 20 years in trade) I'm a little concerned about heat build up, the front storage compartment has vent panels in the door and is open on both sides below the propane tanks but it seems it should be OK since the unit's are completely enclosed from the factory. Additionally the house batteries are there (in battery box’s vented to the outside) still debating on weather I want to reduce my access to the batteries by putting that thing in there, in the end I may just get one of the quiet portables and put it in the back. BTW moving it in and out of the storage compartment isn't really a option, haven't found a 4KW unit yet that’s less than 150 lbs.

Also if your going to get a generator PLEASE get a quiet one, no one want to listen to a loud generator from the next camp over when they are relaxing at camp, this can and does lead to problems and arguments in the campgrounds just like running the genny past a reasonable hour will. <u>Lets all have some consideration for our fellow campers</u>

Old 09-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Quad Patrol

That is a nice unit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]When we have our motorhome, we had a Onan 4000 and never had a complaint about it and it was very quiet too. You are right about being courteous about having a quiet generator. That's one of the reasons, we went with the Honda, besides the reliablility[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2004, 10:18 PM
EAB
Pro Rider

Well, after looking and pricing, my wife and I decided not to install a generator, but to get one more season out of this trailer then buy a 5th wheel with the whole deal ( thats the plan anyway[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])
We were originally looking at the Generac Quietpact RV generator but to have it installed in the gen location on my trailer was about $1600.00!! I know I could do it myself for less but all we would really need the gen for would be the AC. The TV/DVD is 12v (we're camping, not going back in time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) and I have a solar pannel to extend the battery life on those long weekends. Thanks for all the replies.