Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Trialer for two quads???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trialer for two quads???

What about side loading ATV specific trailers -- Triton or Worthington? They have 10 inch wheels, but would probably be OK. I have a popup camper with that size wheels and have not had problems. I'm OK with having the trailer be limited just to ATV's. Both my wife and I drive pickups and because we live in the country we will always have at least one. (Both of our pickups have short beds. Not he best for hauling a large ATV. I don't like being on the raod with the tailgate down.)

I would get an optional chock so that I could haul my Harley if I really needed to. Right now my feeling about the Harley is that bikers don't tow there bikes. They ride them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Price is not a major factor. Durabilty and easy of use are more important to me.

Thanks for your advice.

Tom [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

I'm almost embarassed to say that I don't even KNOW the dimemtions of my trailer. It's a Zieman though, if that matters. I do know it has 13" wheels, cuz we tried to get chrome wheels for it and so far, haven't found any.

Anyway, it's a side loader and fits our two quads nicely - but that's it. No room for coolers or gas cans or anything else. I like it because it sits high and it's harrow enough to fit right behind our truck. We generally go out into the desert pulling it behind our travel trailer, but if we don't take the RV, we get into some pretty tight places and the small, high nature of the trailer works good. Ground clearance is where it's at...

There's a picture of it in my gallery down at the lower right. Click the picture for a bigger look.

And I just used it to haul away an entire tree we cut down a week or so ago, so it is able to do other things.

The only drawback to a sideloader like ours is, you have to make sure you're unloading on the least angled side so you're not having an adventure before you even leave the 'drop zone' - ha. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer

Now I only haul one atv but I got mine at Lowes 5x8 2000 gvw 1800 est. payload....was a little under 600.00
wire mesh floor which works great when the atv is all muddy.
I ended up laying a sheet of 3/4 pt plywood on the floor and bolting it down . do to the fact the the wire mesh really didnt care for holding a Toolbox full of tools that probably easily exceeded the capacity.
Anyway Lowes had a bigger one but I use mine to tow behind my quad when I was clearing my lot for my house. I still use it for yard work. so if it was too big it wouldn't fit in the trails
6ft wide should be long enough to load a atv sideways .
the trailer is made by Carry-on I have seen them at the tractor supply store also
I also looked at one from home depot

Old 11-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Price is not a major factor. Durabilty and easy of use are more important to me."

Look at the Triton trailers, it tows really nice and only weighing 300 pounds, i can move it around easily by myself.

We have a Triton SL8 two place side-load trailer. It is 79 wide and 101" in length. It carries 1550 lbs and only weighs 300 lbs. The trailer is all aluminum, will never rust and never needs painting, and so far has been great. See them at www.tritontrailers.com

Side loading these trailers are not only easy, it also gives you a narrower load to see around while towing. The SL8 provides you with nice drive-on and drive–off capability, just “pop” the pins off and fold the ramp down!

Standard features:

- Four cord rubber torsion axles
- Built-in grease system
- Molded Wire harness (no splices)
- All welded aluminum ramps
- Fully treated limited lifetime warranty marine grade plywood
- Tiedowns included on side rails
- Sealed lights in rubber grommets
- Lexan® light lenses to resist light impacts

If you are just hauling 2 ATVs (less than 1000 lbs), why do you need a trailer that will carry 3500 lbs, what does the trailer weigh?

Old 11-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

2 quads less than 1000lbs? The 2 quads he listed weigh over 1000lbs alone, not to mention when they are fully loaded and fueled up for a ride. Not trying to knock you, but 2 quads can easily weigh more than that. He's talking utilities, and when you add the quads weights, riding gear, trailer's weight, and possibly other stuff(camping gear etc..) which will be on the axle, you may be very close to the 2000lbs limit. For this reason, it would be better to have a margin of safety: a stronger axle.

I know some people will carry 2 sport quads only, and a lighter duty trailer will be fine. Just not for this application. Personally I'd rather have too strong of a trailer than one that limits me or is not designed for it's use(unsafe)

Old 11-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quote "I'm OK with having the trailer be limited just to ATV's. Both my wife and I drive pickups and because we live in the country we will always have at least one."

Sorry, I was 159 pounds off on the weight of the ATVs. His two quads would weigh 1159 pounds dry and add another 100 pounds for all the fluids. The Triton SL8 would still have enough room for close to 300 pounds in gear of other extras. Not trying to knock you, but don't you think he could carry a little of that 840 pounds of gear in the bed of his truck? Quote "Both my wife and I drive pickups and because we live in the country we will always have at least one." That is what the bed is used for isn't it? With his two ATVs and a Triton SL8 trailer, he would only be towing 1560 pounds, far better AND SAFER than towing over 3000 pounds in my opinion.

I think for tguil's "application", " I'm OK with having the trailer be limited just to ATV's", the SL8 would be just fine, unless I mis-understood his post.