Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Question on Toyhaulers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Toyhaulers

I am looking to get a small toyhauler for my 2 quads and the wife and I. I have a ford f150 4.6 v8 so is there anything out there that I can haul? I just bought this truck and owe about 7500 still on it. So I would probably eat it if I traded it in. Anyways any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Theres a compnay called harborfreight, they have cheap trailers, around 200 bucks for a 8 foot long one, its wired and lighted already, all you have to do is lay down some wood, they have a website, check it out. My friend tows this trailer with a 4 cyl s10, we usually throw 2 bikes on the trailer and 1 in the bed so you'll be fine with a v8.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would als o do an internet search for toyhaulers or travel trailers. Look through the different manufacturers websites. I'm sure there are some lightweight trailer that would work for ya. I know they make some that can be towed behind SUV's, so I 'm sure you'll find something.

Good Luck

Old 12-30-2004, 01:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

Weekend Warrior has a "super lite" class. I have a 23' trailer and it follows my 1/2ton dodge well. They offer a 19' and a 21' trailer, both being lighter than mine. My trailer has a front bed with a lighter tongue weight, that being my reason for my purchase. I have no real complaints about the trailer. It seems to be well built and we haveused it about 10 times in a year, so far.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your owners manual but the F150 with the 4.6 should have a tow rating in the 8,000 to 9,000 lb range. Figure 1,200 lbs for two utility quads, 300 for gear and 1,000 for people, fuel and other misc. gear and you're looking at a max weight of 5,000 for the toy hauler itself. I'm not up on toy hauler specs, but you should be able to have several choices for trailers big enough to haul two quads that weigh less than 5k.

The 4.6 / F150 is not a great towing combination but should work with some concessions. Gas milage will suck, as will any kind of acceleration. It would be a good investment to look into getting a trans cooler. Air assist on the rear suspension or overload springs could be needed, especially if you stay with a standard hitch instead of a load distribution type.

Jaybee

Old 12-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys! We have just decided that we are going to get a Cargo Trailer. We have a few places in town here that carry some so we will check those out. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 12-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Just about any enclosed trailer you find is going to have two axles rated for at least 3500 pounds each. That gives you a total weight limit of 7000 lbs, well in the limits of your F150. Check the door sticker to determine what your's is rated for. (GVWR) You can always add heavier springs to up your capacity. The motor and chassis would still be the same... you might consider a gear change if you think you have the need, but most people only have to click off the over drive and can pull just about anything. Don't overload your ability to stop though. and Make sure you don't have tires that are suited for a car on it... Truck tires are rated for more weight, so as long as you have retained those, you should be OK.

Old 01-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

hello, why dont u ask around n pick up a old pop up camper or a small boat trailer n convert it to a trailer to hual your toys!u would be amazed what u can do with some extra stuff lying in your shed or garage! u can achieve this for proply around 100 bucks!i have made several homemade trailer n never had a prob with any of them plus i had fun builging them!u can do basically anything with a power tool! u can also buy the ones from harborfreight tools, there are ok to use! also check ebay to see what locally avalible in your area! alot times people give small trailers away for free! for example on my buddy's homemade trailer it was like 4 x 8 n we fitted a kawi lakota n a suzuki 125 cc in the front fine!good luck! hopefully i was any help!

Old 01-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

I bought an enclosed trailer and modified it for my needs...

trailer photos

Radical

Old 01-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Radical- That trailer is radical[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I really like that thing. What brand and size is it and how much did it set you back? Did you do all the mods inside and out? very sweet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Question on Toyhaulers