Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Chevy or Ford

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy or Ford

FORD!!!!

Old 01-15-2005, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default Chevy or Ford

ok my way is the chevy way! everything i owned was a chevy, 1985 chevy s 10 blazer 4x4, a 1976 chevy c 10 2wd stepside pick up, a 1980 chevy silverado stepside monster 4x4, a 1985 gmc sierra 1500 4x4 p/u, a 1979 chevy blazer 4x4 (i loved that truck ,first time i ever got pulled over was in that truck,had alot of fun with it, i miss it , my current ride is a 1992 gmc sierra 4 x4 p/u!

chevy parts are more comman even if u got to a junk yard(year span 73-87),ford parts are ver y hard to coem by! chevys are easy to fix in my opion!

next ride i wanna get is a brand new silverado , i want another k5 blazer too!

so nobody get pissed here this is my opion ,letss just have fun with this forun n see who has what ok!! ok!

Old 01-15-2005, 03:44 AM
Range Rover
Default Chevy or Ford

Actually ford is going to issue a recall soon on the tranny. There is a clip that comes loose inside the tranny which basically destroys the tranny itself. Each of our 4 trucks lost reverse. Upon talking to Bill Estes Ford in Brownsburg, IN they called around to try to find replacement 4x4 trucks for us; our type of business requires a 4x4, and they were informed by Pearson Ford that they had 7 of the same models in for the same thing. Ford does know about the problem along with the injector problem; which they are trying to find an answer for, and they also know about the pump problem.... they were the ones that informed Bill Estes about it. Yet they still havent put a recall out yet!!!! They also stated to Bill Estes that the newest trucks have been updated; tranny's only, so this wont happen to them..... yet they dont offer a kit for the ones that are bad yet..... seens retarded to me. So they sent Bill Estes 4 new trannys, coolers and an inline tranny filter for our 4 trucks. We are still waiting for the 5th tranny to go out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Personally I think I'll stick w/ my 7.3... it hasnt let me down yet!!! Seems like when they finally get the bugs worked out of a model they switch to a different set-up and have to start over again. But I guess thats what you get when emmission standards keep changing.
I work for a local escavation co. Yes we do actually use the trucks for what they are intended for..... unlike the street posers that you see everywhere..LOL. We are very hard on trucks.... we evan push snow for D.O.T. in the winter months. BUT... unfortunately these trucks didnt evan see the first drop of mud or snow before they went. 2 of them went out going to get Rhino Lined.... 1 went out on the guy on his maiden voyage home... poor guy...lol..... and the 4th went out tryin to back out of our shop. With all the crap that we have to get set-up on the trucks before we can use them, they get quite a few miles racked up on them before we evan get them issued to us. And yes we do have 2 earlier 6.0's and they havent had any problems at all... I dunno if they have the same tranny set-up or not though.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:51 AM
Trailblazer
Default Chevy or Ford

also guys if u own a mazda tribute or ford escape there is a recall due to the rear hatch able to open while yr drivin!,my sister has a1998 mazda b2500 2wd pick up n she got her $$$ worth out of it,its been to hell n back n its still looks new.lol! the mazda has 145,000 on it with just basically needn basic maintance!the only thing she replace was recent were the tires,alternator........ n everyhting was normal oil gas n brakes!

Old 01-15-2005, 04:04 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Chevy or Ford

All of the 6.0 PSDs (most '03+) are backed by the TorqShift. As I said before, and as Indy alluded to, there is a TSB for the tranny. It will probably only go to a recall if the NHTSA get involved and pretty much tell Ford to recall it. Then it's usually only if it could cause bad injury or death (though a tranny could cause that in certain situations.) Ford will basically have the units fixed at the dealers (inventory or already sold).

Over on rv.net there is a guy with a 6.0 powered F-550 with tranny issues that the TSB seems to show the same thing (that's where I found out about the TSB). He's since moved up to a Volvo 610 (talk about the right truck for the job!) and awaiting a DSB hearing (basically a buy back).

Rumor mill is a 6.4L PSD to replace the 6.0. Will still be an IH motor. The TorqueShift is now also mated to the V-10. Not sure, but maybe also to the 5.4L in the SD line-up.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy or Ford

wow, that's scary stuff. glad I've got the 7.3 and older tranny... I guess?? NOW GM was smart. they knew if they put their own technology into the Duramax, it'd be a piece of junk that would fall apart. So they used a proven Japanese engine with the Allisopn tranny= no problems.I'm sure everything else on it is suspect., but great drivetrain. I thought Ford was supposed to get a CAT engine??? And maybe someone else should make them a tranny cuz it sounds like they're not doing a very good job with their own.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Chevy or Ford

I've never heard that one (Cat in Ford, heard Cummins in Ford) oh confused one.

No boys and girls, Ford is sticking with IH as far as anyone can tell. Yes, Cummins & CATs are available in Class 6 and bigger trucks (Cummins ISB ... 5.9L I-6, basically the motor that's in the Dodges, and CAT 3126B 7.2L I-6) As far as trannies, hard to say. There's only a few companies that make trannies. Allison is owned by GM. The 1000 would be the tranny to make with the 6.0L and that's the one that's mated with the Duramax. I've heard they had issues in the beginning with it as well. And Ford has had their share of tranny problems. Including the AT mated with the 7.3L PSD. I know we ate the tranny behind our 460 gas at work in 65K miles.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy or Ford

i thot Ford owns Cummins, but there was already a contract in place to supply Dodge with that engine. ALso, they can't very well start using the Cummins when they've been using these Navastar engines. It'd undermine the whole marketing of the PSD.

Maybe these diesels are just plain hard to match up to an automatic tranny that can take the tourque. Dodge guys i know with the Cummins swear to only get the 5-spd standard tranny; that the auto is a POS.

Old 01-16-2005, 05:22 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Chevy or Ford

Dodge did have some reported problems with the 47RE auto. The 48RE is the same with a lot of beefing up to take the torque of the Cummins. The stick with the Cummins is a 6-speed. Previously was a New Vision NV5600. But DeimlerChrysler sold off NV to some company and now seems to be using Getrag for manuals. Though they are using the TREMAC T56 in the Viper and umm something else. Did I post this here already? Maybe a different thread...

Making an AT that can handle the torque from these diesels isn't easy. When the first 7.3L PSD came out in '94 it was only available with a 5-speed manual. Ford didn't have an AT that could take the torque. I think a beefed up C6 could, but it's only a 3-speed.

Some of the manuals will get down to like a 6:1 1st/granny gear, then you mate that with a 4:10 diff and you have some serious torque going to the ground.

Old 01-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Chevy or Ford

I have owned both and neither has let me down. i just like the way the Chevy drives and it is a little smoother ride. Just my 2 cents.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Chevy or Ford