Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Built in or stand alone generator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built in or stand alone generator?

I'm in the toy hauler market, but only want/need/ can tow a 16' to 18'. My research to date shows that the 16'ers don't come with generators. Some dealers even say that there is no generator compartment and you need to run a portable one. I can get an 18' with a generator, but would rather not tow the extra 700 to 1000 pounds of the 18' (more room for beer!) and don't want to pay over $15k for anything.

I found good deals on 16' with lots of optiions and no generator from $11k to $13k, and an 18' for about $13k. So have any of you had good luck with either instalilng a built in on the smaller toy haulers, or using a portable? Are portables that much more of a pain in the a**? Thanks.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

in what?? for what? explain

Old 01-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

sorry, i hit enter when i typed in the title, then i went back in and actually made the posting. my bad.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Super Quad Patrol

ic, well

I dont have a toy hauler,,,,,but ive been looking into a built in for my trailer for some time

I realized that a portable would be way more practical. Seems like the quieter the generator the more $$$$. I already tried a coleman 1850 and returned it (too loud, too weak).

I finally decided on a honda eu2000i (or the 3000). They are inverted so you can use with sensitive electronics without fear,,,,they are really quiet,,,,,they can be linked in parallel if you need more power,,,,,,and they are real small and superlight. Problem is they are expensive as hell.

If you end up goin portable,,,,,I would recommend honda, yamaha,, and robin (subaru).

pay attention to decibel rating, weight, size, amperage,,,,,,,when shopping.

Most of the generators out there are of the jobsite variety,,,,,but they do have quite a few that are for us campers.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Like Bing said, the Honda eu2000i is an outstanding unit. Not only light and quiet but very reliable as well. The ability to parellel them is a good option and I also like the economizer feature that allows the generator to run just fast enough to produce the power needed at the time.

We use ours to power the fridge and AC in our pickup camper and it speeds up and slows down as needed. Makes for much better fuel economy. I also find it very handy to take with me on the quad when I want to use power tools in remote areas. I seldom take a gas chain saw with me when doing fence repairs anymore, a sawzall is much easier and quieter.

Cabela's offers the eu2000i for about $1000.00. Sounds like a lot, and it is, but well worth the investment IMO.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: tencubed

Cabela's offers the eu2000i for about $1000.00. Sounds like a lot, and it is, but well worth the investment IMO.

agreed !!!

they ebay new for around $850-950,,,,sometimes with free shipping
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Super Quad Patrol

also

the rental shop down the road rents the eu2000i for $45 a day.

rent one for a weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] or a day

Old 01-28-2005, 03:11 AM
Quad Patrol

I've had both[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] an Onan 4000 in our old motorhome and a portable Honda 5000 for our current trailer. I personally would rather have the built in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] More convenient, push of a button and your electrical problems are gone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] quieter, don't need to load/unload, no messing with gas cans, etc....

Now, if you get a small trailer, you can always look into putting the generator on the tongue of the trailer, behind the trailer jack. There's a 16-18 foot toy hauler, running around my area with a set-up like this. I've also seen him at Pismo, too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Anyways, that's an idea too. Just remember, by doing this type of set-up, the tongue weight will change. You can also put a remote start on some Honda generators[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] so, you can still start it from the comfort of your trailer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].