Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

New hauler manuf.- american freedom

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New hauler manuf.- american freedom

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Thats another good idea, probably cheaper to, I paid like $15 for it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

15 bucks isnt bad. did it come with the mounting hardware?

do you guys ever head to pismo beach and ride the dunes there?

Old 04-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

blown450 - pretty cool. Yep, Doug has impressed. I did the same thing, bought the sewer hose holder at Camping World, but I didnt' want to fix it to the drain pipe for fear of dislodging it, nor could i figure out how to mount it under the frame. So I opted to mount it on the front, right where the front wall levels out. It was nice and solid there. I put some clear silicone around each moutning hole for extra protection, and it's worked great. I bought a white hose holder so it looks like it came with the rig. (Learnem, the "mounting hardware" is four screws and comes with the holder. The holder is pvc with built in flanges on each end for mounting. Each vented end cap comes off for access from either side. I bought the mid sized one and paid about $25. )

Pismo - havent' been - - yet. I'm still wary of going farther than about 2 - 3 hours away as I'm towing pretty close to my vehicle's tow rating. The new tow vehicle is still about 1 - 2 years away.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I saw them on the camping monkey website. If you guys ever take your family on vacation and stay in an RV park with full hookups, you will need at least a 20" hose.

I have a place on my frame that i will mount mine for the 20' hose. I am now debating whether or not to fab m own out of pvc pipe, or just buy a premade. My attitude came with a holder for a 10 ft hose.

what tow vehicle do you have? where abouts in so cal do you live? Im in Bakersfield.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

katstoy , you can mount that tube right above the existing drain stuff against the frame rail, mine looks really clean, like i said Doug at the plant even liked it, L
learem i pull my 21 ft with a 1/2 ton silverado with a k&n ram air intake and also a perfomance chip

Old 04-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

I'm in the San Bernardino area.

Just buy one. While I'm all for saving money, it's easier to just buy it. I made a whip antenna holder for my trailer out of PVC. I took a length of 2" diameter PVC that was about 1' shorther than the length of my trailer, glued on one end cap, and with hose clamps affixed it to the side rails of the bed. I spray painter it black to match the trailer. I have one end that screws on and I store the whip antennas in there. I don't like it when the whips are attached to the toys in transit, and they're too long to be in the Jeep. So this is a great way to store them.

From the above, I can tell you that screwing on and off the end cap of the PVC would be a pain versus the end caps on the pre fab hose holder. The pre fab one has discs with flanges that just snap and turn. The end caps are held on by a plastic tether and they're vented. Rather than trying to mess with vents, end caps with no tether and moutnign the thing, just buy the pre fab.

I'm towing with a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with the heavy duty tow package. The tow rating is 6500#. The toy hauler without gear, fluids and toys is about 3800#; so with two to three toys, 60 gal fresh water, fuel and beer, I'm probably weighing in at about 5500 to 6000. So far I've had no problem pulling it up the Cajon Pass or out to Ocotillo Wells. For stabiliity I try to keep my speed at 55 - 60 mph (I've also gotten a ticket before with my trailer doing 70, so I don't want another one), but when those 18 wheelers whiz past you it's get hairy. The suction is immense. I don't have too much sway as I use a weight distribution hitch with anti sway bar. And I have been able to keep it at 55 going up the Pass with no sign of overheating or losing my transmission. I'm thinking of either the Ford 150, Nissan Titan or GMC Yukon as the next tow vehicle - or something that will pull 9000 to 12000#.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blown450
katstoy , you can mount that tube right above the existing drain stuff against the frame rail, mine looks really clean, like i said Doug at the plant even liked it, L
I only have the 17' so the cross braces of the frame are closer together. I also bought the medium sized hose holder that's 4' long. So there was no place to put it under the frame. It looks like it's part of the rig where I have it. It's at the right height and easy to pull in and out. Too bad Doug didn't think of this sooner! I hate dealing with that cr@p!

Old 04-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

If you guys are interested in some summer sand riding on the beach, My family, with a bunch of other people from another toy hauler forum at www.rv.net are going Aug 4-7th. I am actually leaving tomorrow to go too, but I know that would be too soon for you guys.

Also, next superbowl weekend, a decent sized group of us go to Dumont. The place is deserted that weekend. last year, we arrived Thursday, and had virgin sand until Sat afternoon. it was great.

just thought I would let you know.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I LOVE DUMONT!!!! Whether I can get other folks to go on that weekend remains to be seen. But they can either bring their satellite recieved and watch the game in the dunes or just leave to go home by noon!

Pismo sounds great. Is it someplace that you can ride and then go swimming? Or is the beach not condusive to swimming. HOw crowded does it get in the summer? Or is it too hot there too?

Old 04-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Thanks for the info, I live in Banning which is near Palm Springs, That sounds cool to get a bunch of us together and go rip it up, we have just a small group that goes out, so the more the better , in most cases.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] We frequent ocotillo wells and johnson valley, its about 11/2 hours to each place so its easy.We want to get a trip planned for Hungry valley, i have been there once and it is nice. Good campsites and the riding is great, there is no dunes though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: New hauler manuf.- american freedom