Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....

And what did that #3500 axle cost you? I have a few friends who built trailers and it cost them more than buying new. I just found a 2002 Karavan 8x10 aluminum for $400. Deals are out there if you look. I've owned several steel trailers over the years and they did the job. But I'll never buy another one after owning aluminum.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

If you can get a Snowbear utility trailer from Walmart or Home Depot you'll be getting a decent trailer for the price. I've been happy with mine for the 2 years I've had it, 12 inch wheels, steel and PT plywood bed, and a steel frame that's surprisingly heavy duty. Axle location is adjustable for better balance, and the tongue length is as well. Converts from solid frame to a tip style by pulling one pin. Deck height approx. 13-14 inches. Trailer weighs 350 lbs, rated for 2100 lbs GVW. Our price here at Walmart was $597.00 CDN, on sale for $550 CDN. You do the math. Mine is the Model 7000, it's a darn sight cheaper to get the base model and build some simple sides (if you even need them) out of 3/4 plywood and a few hinges.

If you want, I'll pick ya one up next weekend and take a trip down South, I think I'm allowed back in the States again. I'm not sure what the statute of limitations are in Maryland... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Snowbear Trailers

Old 03-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2004 Triton XT10-101 all aluminum tilt trailer, I got it for $981 out the door from a local harley/polaris dealer. the nice thing about aluminum is that it will last just about forever and there is no worries about rust and heavy weight. for the extra money spent you can't go wrong with aluminum. If you go with an aluminum trailer keep in mind that for carrying two quads you may want to go with a wishbone style aluminum trailer for the extra structure support. I love my Triton trailer and am so very glad I went with an aluminum over a steel strailer because of the rust factor, even the brand new steel trailers you buy usually have rust on them just from sitting in the sales lot.
You can check out the "my Photos" link below to see pictures of my Triton trailer with my 700EFI on it, the trailer will fit two of them on it but I usually onlly have the one on it due to my wife not riding very often.

Triton

Old 03-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hey ryankmiller. If you really want to protect your toys, get an enclosed trailer. It provides a lockable area for tools, quads gas and what not. It also provides protection for your quads from road debris. It is particularly important if you transport the quads in the winter on salty roads. It also provides a protected place from the elements to store the quads when they are not being used. The rear door on my trailer tilts down (spring loaded) to a ramp. See my pics. I don't like tilt trailers because the trailer is at an angle making it less convenient when loading/unloading two quads.
I hope this helps you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 03-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I don't quite have the money for an inclosed. I have plenty of places to keep it locked up. In the winter I don't travel very far.

I thought about those walmart deals, but I can't get 2 quads on it. I think I am leaning toward the Norther catalog side loader, and the triton. Unfortunately we don't have a triton dealer anywhere near us.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

And what did that #3500 axle cost you?
i looked into replacing my 3500 axle with bent spindles

$101 with bearings

dexter axle

Old 03-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

whatever you end up buying,,,,,try and get the largest wheels you can

those little donut tires go thru bearing pretty fast,,,especially if you get close to the weight rating

Old 03-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

those little donut tires go thru bearing pretty fast,,,especially if you get close to the weight rating
Might have been true in the past, but the new ones aren't a problem if you keep them greased (absolutely don't get one that doesn't have greaseable bearings.) Took my '99 from Michigan to South Carolina and back in addition to all the regular use and it's still fine.

you may want to go with a wishbone style aluminum trailer for the extra structure support.
I just sold my Triton XT10-101 because I HATED that damn wishbone! If I had a dollar for every time I smacked my knee crossing back and forth tying down on the front..... Especially if it's slippery where your walkin'.

I don't like tilt trailers because the trailer is at an angle making it less convenient when loading/unloading two quads.
If you have two people it's real easy. One person just stays on the first one holding the brake while you load the second. If you're alone, just run the first one on, throw a strap on the front of it, and tilt the trailer again to load the second. To me, it's easier than messing with ramps.

Back in the 70's, I had a trailer that was wide enough for two sleds of 60's vintage but not the newer, wider ones that were coming out. It had it's wheels AND leaf springs outside the bed. You pulled a pin at the front of each leaf spring where it attached to the frame, and the spring pivoted up on the spindle dropping the bed to the ground. THAT is easy loading! Even back in the day, I only ever saw one other trailer like it.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have a two place covered snowmobile trailer, it is perfect for me. But if you just want a trailer that can hold two quads and is cheap, I have seen some utility trailers in front of Home Depot that look pretty good (never taken the time to study them, though). Good to have for utility work also. I think they were pretty inexpensive, too.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

nice thing about my Triton is that even though it's a tilt you can load them up from the side as well with the aluminum ramp. if you want to convert it to haul other stuff or brush or whatnot Triton makes side rail brackets that just bolt to the trailer then you just buy some 2x4's to slide into them and build the railing yourself.

Quick Reply: TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....