Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....

Originally posted by: 95sport400
And what did that #3500 axle cost you? I have a few friends who built trailers and it cost them more than buying new. I just found a 2002 Karavan 8x10 aluminum for $400. Deals are out there if you look. I've owned several steel trailers over the years and they did the job. But I'll never buy another one after owning aluminum.

I don't remember ... but we made it ... didn't buy it completed.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I don't quite have the money for an inclosed.
I bought a 12 foot snowmobile trailer (new) for $625. I then put another $350 in for aluminum sheeting and steel to build the enclosure. I was rushed for time, otherwise I would've built the whole trailer for even less.

As far as tires. If you get the small tires, look for the 20.5x10 D rating. These are rated at over 1000lbs each. I have four of them on my trailer with two 2000lb axles/springs for a total rating of 4000lbs. Trailer weights about 700lb, sleds weight 1500lbs total, add 40 gal gas (240lbs), tools.... So I probably carry 2700lbs of sleds or about 1800lbs of quads. My quads are only Trailblazers.. It is amazing how heavy the trailer can get. Point is, don't underestimate your requirements.
BryceGTX

Old 04-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

If you have two people it's real easy. One person just stays on the first one holding the brake while you load the second. If you're alone, just run the first one on, throw a strap on the front of it, and tilt the trailer again to load the second. To me, it's easier than messing with ramps.
LOL, this is easy? I'm just saying it is much easier to just open my back door and drive them in.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 04-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Also be careful of any 8x10 snowmobile trailer. Very few will have the weight capacity to carry much more than a single Sportsman even though they have the space. They will have to have 20.5x10 C rated tires at least to carry twin sportsmans. Most 8x10 trailers have much smaller tires/axles.
BryceGTX

Old 04-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a new 18 foot tandem 5200 lb axle car hauler, works great, put the 90 in pickup box and other 4 on trailer sideways. The reason I bought this is so I could use it for other things also...like hauling a car or my skid loader or whatever. It will haul 8600 lbs of payload and has 235/75/15 8 ply tires. Probaly a little overkill for what u need but I have 5 polaris's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

Dude I would stay away from any trailer that uses less than a 13" wheel/tire. (No donuts !) I design travel trailers for a living and deal with axles and loading all the time. A steel frame will out-live your lifetime as long as it is primed and painted properly. I just recently built this trailer with the help of a friend that has a metel shop. It still needs a final paint. It has 15" tires. I can tow it at 80 MPH all day long and not worry about melting the wheel bearings, etc. Remember the smaller the tire is the faster it will be turning which creates heat and pre-mature wear at the tires and bearings. Look around, you should be able to find a decent used one for a good price. Have a good 1.

Trailer

Old 04-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

I had a custom made aluminum trailer made for my specs for $1700. It's a 6'x14' all aluminum frame with pressure treated deck with 10 flush tie downs. It has 14" aluminum wheels with radial tires on torques axles. It has side pockets so I can make rails all around. It also has the front jack with wheel. I was quite suprised a custom trailer was made for that price. It was only $500 more then a Big Tex of the same size, but the GT had steel side rails which would make for a very hard side load. I can load 3 sideways on my aluminum. Plus the BT weighed 500lbs more thus gave me 500lbs less payload or 1 atv. Plus the BT came with steel wheels and bias tires and leaf spring suspension. My aluminum was well worth the extra.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

No matter what trailer you get iw would take it and get it covered(or most of it) with truck bed liner spray. That stuff is amazing and can be applied to anything and they even have colors now. This will protect your trailer from rust, nicks, dings and ity looks good to. I did it to my large 8 machine flatbed trailer and just covered my custom sides with it and anything else that wasn't powdercoated or wood. It has help up very well and didn't cost very much. It's easy to clean also.

Old 04-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

8X10 Steel $1800 (I got it for $1400 because I bought 2 quads too)

Pic

Old 04-03-2005, 11:26 AM
yaK
Pro Rider

Just have to be a rable rouser and state the obvious.....while aluminum dose not rust it will corrode..... have a freind who thought he never had to wash the salt off cause its 'Aluminum' but after 7 years of hauling sleds in the heavy salt/calcium winter control mix , it came apart on a support . He thought it cracked ...but it had corroded away... goes to show ... if you look after it , it will last ....if not....

Quick Reply: TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....