Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....

The number of times I've seen those Triton trailers on the side of the road is alarming, probably why I don't see them very much except on the side of the road. No matter how good their build quality is every where else, those tiny tires and wheels just don't cut it on all the 75mph interstates around here. IMO, if you're going to do any interstate driving, get something that will handle the speed with 14+" wheels. If you don't mind repacking the wheel bearings at least once or twice a year then maybe it'll be okay.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Trailblazer

Recently I bought a 77x14 with drop gate for $950. It has a wrap tounge and you can get 3 atvs on it sideways or 2 up the ramp.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I have a couple thoughts. I agree that you get what you pay for. No I would not use a cheap trailer for 20K's worth of quads. No matter what you buy, as soon as you get it home, grease the bearings. and do it religously. Every time you pull more than 50 miles, do it. It is cheap insurance. ALWAYS check air pressure in the tires, every time before you pull. Put some wd-40 all over the hitch assembly as you hook up nad as you put it away

Now for trailers. I have a large alluminum flatbed, and a very expensive enclosed 22 ft v-nose overheight (8 ft tall inside). For sort hauls, the flatbed is the way to go. For anything overnight, or more than a 100 miles, I pull the moose. I like th esafety of having everything out of sight. It comes with a cost though. I had to trade my Hemi for a diesel to pull it. The hem struggled with it. Not becasue of th eweight, but becasue it was so tall, it pushed a lot of wind. Too much for the half ton truck to pull safely. The diesel gets double the milage on the road. Enough to save me enough in fuel that it makes the truck payment. (I pull every day).

I will offer a horror story though. My trailer is a custom job from front to back. (See my gallory for pictures) I had nothing but trouble from the PACE American factory in GA. If you get a choice, have it built in one of the other plants. The GA boys are trouble all the way through the process. Dont' get me wrong, I love my trailer, and will buy another one, but not from that factory.

Lastly, go with alluminum if at all possible. No reason to pull all that weight around. Alluminum does NOT rust either.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I was at home depot today and looked at a 4.5 x 6 trailer. Snowbear or something like that. The cost on it was cheap, only $449, with military discount of 10% it would be $405. Not a bad price but then I looked around on the side and saw bits and pieces all bent up. These things was made Cheap, I've decided to spend a little extra and get a trailer from my local trailer builders. They have 15 inch used tires on them inwhich later on I can buy new tires and not worry about having to go the back roads to my riding area because I cant go faster than 55mph with those dinky 12inch tires. I wanted to go cheap but just couldnt bring myself to do it.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

That is exactly the point. There are some out here that will criticise me when I recommend not going with those or the ones from Harbor freight. Nothing personal, no dig intended.. as I can fully understand the $ issues. My motivation is to not have to spend the same money over again when the bargain falls apart. When you have to do that, it isn't much of a bargain. I looked at them closely myself. And found that for a little more money, I could get one with real tires on it, that was fully welded, and it wasn't rusting sitting there waiting for someone desperate enough to buy it. I have seen guys use them, and to a man, after a year, they are looking again. The steel is sub par, they are falling apart, welds are breaking, fenders are falling off etc. Just trying to save you some grief down the road. There is a reason why you pay more for certain brands. Funny thing is, when you talk to those that have a few years under their belts, and several trailers behind them, you almost exclusively find they are pulling the big name trailers these days. Experience is a great teacher. You can either learn from it, or suffer from your own adventures...

Old 06-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well...I went and picked up my new Triton XT14-101 last saturday. It's a thing of beauty to say the least. Weighing in at 800lbs total, it tows like it's not even there with my Toyota Quad Cab v6. When I got it home, I installed 10 stainless D-Rings [4 down each side & 2 in the middle] Four fullsize quads fit on it nicely with room to spare for a few dirt bikes between them.

6-17-2006

I got off work and hooked up to the trailer, loaded all the quads and strapped them all down. At 2am saturday we left home headed for the Sand Lakes Dunes for a day trip. The only thing I had to get use to, was the fact of the 101" width I was towing. It let you know that you had to pay attention while towing it.

It was the first time for the kids to ever see dunes that big. The whole trip there, the wife and I were telling them the area was REAL small...LOL. We pulled into the day use parking area at about 6am. We arrived there so early that most people there were still sleeping. Nonetheless, we unloaded the quads, fired them up and hit the sand.

Last time we went to Sand Lakes was 14 years ago when we were single and prior to getting married.

By the time 12:00 came, the park was getting full and the weather was turning out great. People everywhere all having a good time.

We rode till 5pm and then loaded up to head home.

We all loved the trip there and plan on another trip right after the weekend of the 4th.

The Triton trailer pulled without a glitch. Total miles round-trip = 350 ...give or take a few.

As for me buying a Triton...I love it !!

With the right maintenance, it will last for a lifetime.