Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Weight Distribution Hitch ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 07:44 PM
rc3
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Distribution Hitch ????

I just got a toy hauler and on the hitch, the ladder has two bolts where the ball mounts to the ladder. My bottom bolt is tight, the top bolt, has kind of egg shaped hole and the bolt is not tight, but it does have lock nuts on this, I was just curious if this is normal or not, my dealer set it up for me, and for some reason I just noticed it this weekend, SO I was just curious if anyone else's where set up like this or are both bolts tight!

Thanks

Old 07-10-2005, 10:38 PM
EAB
Pro Rider

Mine was like you described. The two pieces actually had a little play between them, but I towed with that for 3 years and it didnt move one bit. It has to do with setting up the loaded height.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:03 PM
rc3
Pro Rider

So you could actually take the top bolt and move it back and forth about an inch!

Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Range Rover

same here. Is yours an eaz-lift as well?

Old 07-11-2005, 07:10 PM
rc3
Pro Rider

I am really confused, I stopped by my dads' to look at his after work, and his bolt is tight. On mine the bottom bolt is tight but the top bolt is not tight at all!

Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

According to my instructions that came with my hitch is that the top bolt should be tighten to 260 ft. lbs. torque. The ball should be vertical or tilted slightly back.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

RC3 that's part of the adjustment on a WD hitch. If it's loose, it hasn't been set up right. You need to find the directions for setting up your WD hitch. That bolt adjusts the angle of the head (as someone else mentioned) allowing you to adjust the tension on the spring bars.

Think of each link on the chain as a coarse adjustment, and the pitch of the head to be a fine adjustment. If it's loose, it's not set up right. If the dealer did it, they didn't do it right. I'd take it back and tell them to redo it again as someone didn't tighten up that bolt.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-12-2005, 06:52 PM
rc3
Pro Rider

Well it is defnately set up wrong and I have no directions because I had them do everything, according to my dad's they even put the washer's in the wrong places. On his the top bolt has a grip type lock washer on each side, on mine they put one washer on the top bolt, and one washer on the bottom bolt, well I guess I will try to find some directions online somewhere!

RC3

Old 07-12-2005, 07:32 PM
rc3
Pro Rider

So I just went out and set it up as close as I could per the instructions I found on the Reese Website, my setup is not a Reese setup but I am sure that all the height and angles are suppost to be pretty much the same. I think that my dealer must have forgot to do that part! Well I hope it is right but until I put the trailer on it who knows, I guess we will just have to see! Thanks for all of your help, the bottom bolt ended up being lose also. I do not have a torque wrench that goes to 240lbs. So I tightened the top and bottom bolt to 140lbs of torque, I hope that is tight enough!

Old 07-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Well if they didn't have the locking washer on the top it's definately going to move around. I'd go back to the dealer and ask them to torque down the bolts as they failed to do it right the first time. Of course, be polite. Tell them it was assymbled wrong and see if they might have the instructions for it, or maybe a copy the could make. Might have a decent dealer who is willing to do that.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Weight Distribution Hitch ????