Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

american freedom trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default american freedom trailer

I just bought an American Freedom FD221 Sand Blaster at an auction. It's brand new but doesn't have any user manuals on the trailer itself, just all the equipment like the generator, furnace, etc. Does anyone know where I can get any documentation? Or, to start, can someone tell me what the two pairs of wires that come out from the front of the trailer (between the propane tanks and the trailer itself) should be hooked up? I assume they need to be connected to a battery (or two), but I just want to make sure before I do this.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Yep to the battery. I have two hooked up, but you can run off one.

When I bought new there was no instruction manual for the hauler other than for the individual appliances. I just did a walk through with the salesman.

You'll enjoy the new toy!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks!!

Are the two batteries hooked together? If so, how? (Positive to negative or positive to positive?)

Old 09-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

They're hooked together, but I can't recall right now how. Next time I pull it out of storage (hopefully soon as the weather is getting cooler) I'll make a note of the connections and let you know.

I seem to recall that one lead was to each battery, but I don't know if it's pos or neg. There is a separate smaller cable that hooks both batteries together.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay,

Thanks again!

Old 09-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Trailblazer

Whats up Katstoy, been awhile since we have spoke on here. I see there is another AF hauler owner. Man I love mine. I took mine in and had the flag graphic removed and Doug put the new 2007 tribal graphics on it. It looks like a new rig.To answer the other guys question about the battery.You wire it in series, Pos to one battery neg. to other battery and then run a jumper connecting the two.I have'nt seen a hauler yet that comes with instructions. Except for the appliances sometimes, if your lucky. If your having problems just ask us and we will help you out. We have a trip planned with so far 9 hauler on the 2nd weekend in October to go to Ocotillo wells if anyone wants to join us, bring it on. we stay just past the store on the other side of the wash. I sold my 400 ex and bought the new Susuki LTR-450. man what a rocket.That EFI is really responsive.Carburated bikes are a thing of the past in my opionion. Have fun with the new trailer GRHI, like I said if you get stuck on somthing let us know.I have had mine for 2 good years with no major problems. good luck, see ya in the sand.

2003 Chevy HD crew cab 8" lift
23 FCB AF hauler
2007 susuki LTR-450 ( white )
2005 honda 450 ex ( black )
raptor 50
TTR 90
Chest full of the cold ones

Old 09-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the additional comments blown450!

We're planning on going to Sand Mountain the first weekend in October.

I'm still confused on the batteries and how they are hooked together. Shouldn't then be hooked together just like when you jump start a car? Positive to positive and negative to negative? (Or is that what you are saying?) This would keep the voltage at 12 volts as I think if they are connected negative to positive I would end up with 24 volts. (Or am I just totally messed up on all of this?)

Old 09-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

Ok lets word this in simple terms. You should have 2 wires out of the box.Red and black . take the red and put it on the positive ( + ) terminal and the black on the negative ( - ). On battery 1. Get some wire that that is the same guage as the wire coming out of the trailer. Then make a jumper from the positive and negative on battery 1 to the positive/ negative on battery 2. This is parallel . I may have told you series, my bad sorry.A word of advice, if there is gonna be some time between trips take the batterys off and put them in the garage or someplace out of the sun. It really drains them bad. Let me know if this helps you or if you have anyother questions about the toyhauler. See ya.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: blown450
Whats up Katstoy, been awhile since we have spoke on here. I see there is another AF hauler owner. Man I love mine. . . . We have a trip planned with so far 9 hauler on the 2nd weekend in October to go to Ocotillo wells if anyone wants to join us, bring it on. we stay just past the store on the other side of the wash.

Hi Blown450! Just aired out the rig about 2 weeks ago. Still waiting for a new rear sproket for my Kawasaki though. As coinkydink would have it we are planning an Ocotillo run that weekend too. We usually camp near the airport on the other side of the ridge from Holmes camp. There's lots of easy ridges for the little ones to ride on, you have a straight view to blow sand (it's pretty cool to watch the headlights go up the hill at night, and it makes it easy to find camp on the way back) and it's in a nice, central area. The last two times (and only times) I've been there it got pretty windy. Have you had the wind issues? I'm wondering if the wind hits all of Ocotillo or just hte airport area as it is a wide open area.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

I have been very luck as far as the wind goes , I have had it kick up in the evenings on occasion, but the last few trips we have had little or no wind. That spot that you are talking about , I have been near there. It is cool at night to watch all the head lights. I am usually one of them on the hill.

Quick Reply: american freedom trailer