Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend a lightweight trailer?

I'm wondering if anyone is manufacturing a trailer sturdy enough to hold a full size quad, but light enough to be pulled by a vehicle smaller than a truck, like a car or CUV. I figure it would have to weigh about 300 pounds by itself, empty.

Any takers?

Old 03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

I purchased a Triton aluminum trailer for my hauling needs. Its an ATV Trailer that has the drive up ramps on both sides. Its handy in that you can place your normal ramps on it and pull another quad into the back of the truck pulling it without hafting to unhook the trailer. I'm not sure of the exact weight, but I know its under 300 lbs.
Its somewhere around a 8X8, just wide and long enough for two full size quads. I pull it with my Grand Prix and you don't even know its there. Good Luck

Old 03-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DennisC
I purchased a Triton aluminum trailer for my hauling needs. Its an ATV Trailer that has the drive up ramps on both sides. Its handy in that you can place your normal ramps on it and pull another quad into the back of the truck pulling it without hafting to unhook the trailer. I'm not sure of the exact weight, but I know its under 300 lbs.
Its somewhere around a 8X8, just wide and long enough for two full size quads. I pull it with my Grand Prix and you don't even know its there. Good Luck
Is this the one?
http://www.tritontrailers.com/models1.asp?ModelID=5
Yeah. Its listed as 300lbs..

Or there is the XTV but only holds one (1) quad. Wieghs in at 200lbs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
XTV CLICK ME!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Trailblazer

My local Tractor Supply carries a 5x8 trailer with a ramp gate and mesh floor. It weighs about 300 pounds with a GVW of 2000. I bought one and have towed it a couple of thousand miles. So far it seems fine. One nice thing is that it has 13" wheels not the little donuts.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I had a 5x10 flat trailer made for me. Cost 400 dollars, and weigh just over 400 (dollar a pound [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

I hauled two quads with it. Pulled it with my 95 Ranger with it's huge 2.3 motor. Never had any problems. I just sold it for 200 last week. Got a new toy hauler. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (no it's not being towed by the Ranger)

Edit: Forgot to say the 5x10 had 15inch tires on it. If you're in the Dallas area, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the number where I bought it.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Range Rover

Yes thats the Triton model I purchased. The only drawback is its a little wide. Is a 5x10 long enough to haul 2 atv's. One of my buddies has a atv trailer thats just wide enough, probably 4 - 5 ft wide and just long enough for two full size atvs. It sure is nice cause its narrow. It looks like a landscaping trailer, and its pretty heavy. In my opinion an aluminum trailer is the way to go, won't ever rust, maintenance free. The marine grade plywood is guaranteed for the life of the trailer. Good Luck with whatever you get!

Old 03-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

On my 5x10, I put the one on front sideways, and drove the second one straight on the back. I took the measurements from my Boss And Blazer, and that was a small as I coud go. The one sitting across the trailer just fit. About an inch on each end. May want to measure the distance from tire to tire before you go with a 5x10.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies everyone. The XTV sounds like what I'm looking for.

My truck has been killing me on gas, and all I really haul with it is my quad (650 pounds dry weight), so I've been considering buying a small beater car to run around town in or trading my truck in all together. If I trade in, I really like the look of the Chevy HHR's, but they are only rated to tow 1000 pounds, and with a huge 2 seater bombardier, that's cutting it kinda close....

Old 03-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Larry......
While you're checking out the Tritons, check out model XT10-101.....It's actually a snowmobile trailer......I bought one in Jan. and love it....It has a tilt bed, torsion axle, all aluminum construction and very light too.......It's big enough for 2 full size quads side by side and a little room to spare front to back.....
John

Old 03-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

I am definitely going with the Triton XTV. I will be pulling one quad with my car and you just cannot beat the weight of this trailer at 200 lbs. I found one for 750 bucks, not sure what MSRP is on a new one as the Triton web site doens't list prices.

Hope this helps,

Bubba!Text