Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

2005-2006 THOR TOY HAULERS??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005-2006 THOR TOY HAULERS??

HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY PROBLEMS OR ISSUES OR HEARD OF ANY BAD THINGS WITH THEM I RECENTLY BOUGHT 2000 THOR 21FT FRONT KITHCEN AND I REALLY LIKE IT EXCEPT I FIGURED OUT ITS A LITTLE SMALL AFTER TAKING IT OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME I LOOKED AT OTHER LIKE THE WEEKEND WARRIOR TO EXPENSIVE LOOKED AT THE RAG'N NICE BUT I REALLY LIKE THE INT LAY OUT OF THE THOR THIS IS THE MODEL I WOULD GET WITH THIS LAY OUT http://www.dealersdata.com/index.cfm...2DY9R284C&r=49 SO IF ANY OF YOU KNOW A BETTER BRAND OR BETTER PRICED COMPARABLE BRAND WITH THE EXACT SAME LAY OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Old 04-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Just bought a 2005 WW superlite. 2100fk model. Person bought it and had it 3 months and traded it in on a 5th wheel. Got it for just under 16k. Had some minor issues, that I don't think were manufacturer related, but am happy with it. Came with generator and fuel station too.

When I was looking, I went to RV traderonline and searched. Would check dealers websites as well. Just so happens, the one I saw and called about was sold, but this one had just come in. they didn't even have to advertise it, and I save about 6k versus buying a 2006.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone else????

Old 04-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,
Here is what I can tell you about Thor Toy Haulers:

Per my sig I have an '05 28' Transport. I love it! It is the perfect size and it is plenty long. I don't think I would want to pull anything much longer unless it was a fifth wheel. The way these are designed the axles are set back pretty far to accomodate hauling all the weight in the back. I have got in a tight spot a few times because of this in camp grounds. Since I am used to driving tractor trailers I was okay though. The only thing I have had problems with 2 cabinet doors cracked during the winter.
Now for other peoples that I know:
A guy I work with bought an '05 36' 5th wheel and had nothing but problems! This is an amazing story. He was on the highway and got a flat the second he pulled it. Come to find out the tire was cuut down because the brackets that link the dual axle springs folded in so the tire rubbed on the inner fender till it popped. Thor issued a recall but didn't contact anyone.
Then he noticed the trailer was sitting sideways on the truck the next time he went out. After close inspection the framing for the 5th wheel section busted apart and when he dropped it into the back of the truck the side and the front would seperate and leave a 3' gap. Not to mention the danger of pulling with the frame busted. Thor had a local shop reweld it back together. The very next time he pulled it the same thing happend. Thor then had one of their welders fly up to fix it. This time he pulled it twice before it happend again. Thor now decided to take it to California and tear it apart to rebuild it. Here's the kicker, they tore it apart and were rebuilding it when the welder and his helper decided to take lunch. When they came back the trailer had burned to the ground! Needless to say my coworker was pretty upset. He lost most of year of camping due to it being broken, now he has nothing. Thor decided to make it right by giving him a new one. They did not give him any warranty though as his original one year had just ended. Kind of wierd. He also had problems with the slide out on the old one and the new one.

Another person I know bought a 5th wheel and within two months the canopy ripped off it and it was not covered under warranty. They also had the water faucet blow off and a few other minor things.

Sorry about the lengthy story but I had to tell you since you asked. I think the moral to the story is don't buy a Thor 5th wheel. My hitch pull is great!

Old 04-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: lmparts
Well,
Here is what I can tell you about Thor Toy Haulers:

Per my sig I have an '05 28' Transport. I love it! It is the perfect size and it is plenty long. I don't think I would want to pull anything much longer unless it was a fifth wheel. The way these are designed the axles are set back pretty far to accomodate hauling all the weight in the back. I have got in a tight spot a few times because of this in camp grounds. Since I am used to driving tractor trailers I was okay though. The only thing I have had problems with 2 cabinet doors cracked during the winter.
Now for other peoples that I know:
A guy I work with bought an '05 36' 5th wheel and had nothing but problems! This is an amazing story. He was on the highway and got a flat the second he pulled it. Come to find out the tire was cuut down because the brackets that link the dual axle springs folded in so the tire rubbed on the inner fender till it popped. Thor issued a recall but didn't contact anyone.
Then he noticed the trailer was sitting sideways on the truck the next time he went out. After close inspection the framing for the 5th wheel section busted apart and when he dropped it into the back of the truck the side and the front would seperate and leave a 3' gap. Not to mention the danger of pulling with the frame busted. Thor had a local shop reweld it back together. The very next time he pulled it the same thing happend. Thor then had one of their welders fly up to fix it. This time he pulled it twice before it happend again. Thor now decided to take it to California and tear it apart to rebuild it. Here's the kicker, they tore it apart and were rebuilding it when the welder and his helper decided to take lunch. When they came back the trailer had burned to the ground! Needless to say my coworker was pretty upset. He lost most of year of camping due to it being broken, now he has nothing. Thor decided to make it right by giving him a new one. They did not give him any warranty though as his original one year had just ended. Kind of wierd. He also had problems with the slide out on the old one and the new one.

Another person I know bought a 5th wheel and within two months the canopy ripped off it and it was not covered under warranty. They also had the water faucet blow off and a few other minor things.

Sorry about the lengthy story but I had to tell you since you asked. I think the moral to the story is don't buy a Thor 5th wheel. My hitch pull is great!
GOOD INFO THANKS ALOT IM A BUMPER PULL TYPE OF GUY TOO

Old 04-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glad I could be of some help. Hard to believe it but it is a true story!

Old 05-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

We have a 2005 Thor Tahoe Transport Model 28-WTB and LOVE IT !!!! We bought it brand new last March with every option that I could get and it has not failed us at all. We are seing some corrosion on the frame, and rust on the wheels. But nothing serious. Just need to get it cleaned up and the new cover on it.

Loaded up the In-Laws 2000 Gold Wing trike and trucked it from Kansas City, MO to Pigeon Forge, TN. Got got in some 35 mph cross winds and she barely wiggled behind our 2000 v-10 Excursion. We have used it to dry camp in the Ozarks a few times. Ran the generator most of the night for the A/C and no one complained about the noise. Inside or outside. I would recommend putting some dynamat sound insulation in the generator compartment.

If you are looking for new try to get the '06. They have corrected a huge design flaws. The TV compartment on the '05 can not fit a 13" tv/vcr combo in it. In '06 they have removed the top of the TV comparment to fix this. Of course I already made that mod on my '05. The space where the head should be is also a little strange. The table fits a little weird in these units as well due to the wheel well protruding into this area. Fix- Go to SAMS Club and get the folding table that height adjustable legs on it. This allows 2 legs to be on top of the wheel well and 2 on the floor. I did have to drill 2 stop holes for the adjustment pins to pop out of. We also bought a roll of 7 1/2 x 20 rubber flooring from SAMS to lay down before the ATV's go in.

We usualy put a '05 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 Auto, '05 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4 Auto, '05 Polaris Sportsman 90, and '03 Suzuki DRZ-125L in the back. Nothing laying vertically or stacked or crazy like that. Plus all of our gear, food, cloths.

One last thing. This unit is HEAVY!!! Be sure to get the proper hitch, a Prodigy brake controller, and a big gas card.

Hope you get what you want....

Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought an '06 30ft 5th wheel Ragen... LOVE IT! I think they have to be one of the most "luxurious" toyhaulers on the inside... so far, no issues... My best friend has also had her 21ft Ragen for 3 years now and hasn't had any warranty work done other than maintenance on the generator!! Good luck with your search!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Still have the Thor Tahoe 28-WTB and it is really kicks butt now.

The floor protector from SAMS is awesome. I did have to put some velcro on the back of the pieces to cover the wheel wells. But it makes clean up easy.

I loaded in our Sportsman 90, Bruin 350 4x4, Kodiak 400, our new Bruin 350 2x4, & CRF230F with out any issue. In fact this thing towed even better loaded up.
Now that is a lot of toys in the box. And like they say. He who dies with the most toys wins.....

The only other way I could image riding & camping like this would be with a big class A and flat bed trailer. Wife won't say good bye to the Excursion so the 5er is out of
the question.