Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Tail Gates / How Much Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tail Gates / How Much Weight?

Originally posted by: tencubed
Originally posted by: 400CatDriver
Originally posted by: Crash302
I have a Ford F350 and I take my tailgate off. I am not worried about the weight of my griz but it makes it easier to load. The angle in much less so it goes in easier.
???? How does that change the angle?
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he didn't lower the gate. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

LMAO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is simple. The top of the tailgate (open) is 40 inches off the ground. The top of the bumper is 36 inches off the ground. Removing the tailgate means you place the 6 foot ramp on the 36" high level. Putting it on the 40" level means you have a much steeper pitch to climb up. The ramps length stays the same but the pitch changes.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

take your tailgate off and try it. You will see.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

It is simple. The top of the tailgate (open) is 40 inches off the ground. The top of the bumper is 36 inches off the ground. Removing the tailgate means you place the 6 foot ramp on the 36" high level. Putting it on the 40" level means you have a much steeper pitch to climb up. The ramps length stays the same but the pitch changes.
Yes, that makes sense. I guess we all assumed you had put the ramps on the bed of the truck not on the bumper. Dropping the end of the ramps by 4" would lessen the grade to that point. However, climbing the 4" rise between the ramp and the bed would be an increase in angle it would seem.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes you still have to get in the bed but the ramp stops on the bumper. That means the ramp pitch does not change. If I put the ramps in the box I would be in the same situation as the tailgate. As a bonus taking the tailgate off makes it easier to use the step bumper and jump in to truck. Jumping on to the tailgate and into the box is rough after a long ride. I also do not normally ride my bike into the truck. I normally stand beside it and run it up just using the gas. The spare tire against the back rack stops it from hitting the window. It normally goes up slow enough to just tap the tire anyway. I slipped off a ramp years ago and I do not want to do that again.

My F150 had a tailgate weight rating of 500 lbs. I had more then that on it and never bent. I would have to look through the manual to see if it is listed for the F350.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Yes you still have to get in the bed but the ramp stops on the bumper. That means the ramp pitch does not change. If I put the ramps in the box I would be in the same situation as the tailgate. As a bonus taking the tailgate off makes it easier to use the step bumper and jump in to truck. Jumping on to the tailgate and into the box is rough after a long ride. I also do not normally ride my bike into the truck. I normally stand beside it and run it up just using the gas. The spare tire against the back rack stops it from hitting the window. It normally goes up slow enough to just tap the tire anyway. I slipped off a ramp years ago and I do not want to do that again.

My F150 had a tailgate weight rating of 500 lbs. I had more then that on it and never bent. I would have to look through the manual to see if it is listed for the F350.
I have an even easier method of loading the quad....I make my son do it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Guess the question now is what is your bumper rating????? Aren't most of the imports rated at 500 lbs? My scrammy is 570 lbs.....

Old 12-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

your scrammy must be small to fit all 4 tires on the bumper, best i can do at any time is fit 2, you must be special

Old 12-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

can you fit your quad on the tailgate?

Old 12-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

Lol I think he meant about putting too much weight on the tailgate on the way to the bed..not leaving it on the tailgate [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Tail Gates / How Much Weight?