Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

stiffer springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stiffer springs

how much can i haul on a trailer with them and will the handly farm use ever day plus high way

Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default stiffer springs

JeffinTD is the man with that stuff. PM him and he'll lead you in the right direction.....

Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default stiffer springs

Thanks for the complement, but I wouldn't say I'm the man on that stuff, or even an expert. I've just read enough, and studied enough to have a handle on the various vehicle ratings...

If you look in your door jamb it will likely list the maximum permitted weight for both your front and rear axle (GAWR for gross axle weight rating), and it will also list the gross vehicle weight rating, the maximum allowable weight for the sum of the two axles.

On Dodge's site, it will also give you the gross combined weight rating- the maximum allowable weight of the truck, trailer and load. They will also likely list a trailer towing capacity, but that will be based on the truck being totally empty except for one scrawny driver- so in the real world the largest trailer you can really tow without going over GCWR will be less because of the extra people, tools, or whever that you will have in the pickup.

Looking at the Dodge web page it would look like GAWR is 3900 front and rear. Combined rating is around 14000 depending on options and equipment. The trailer will also have an axle weight rating and a vehicle weight rating (the trailer's vehicle weight rating may be higher than the axle weight rating because some weight will be on the hitch).

If you make sure that you don't exceed any of your truck's weight ratings (gross vehicle, gross axle front and rear, and gross combined rating) and don't exceed the ratings of the trailer, you are pretty well on your way to making sure your rig is legal, safe, and that it won't overload the pickup.

In this case, I'd imagine that your truck could probably handle around 5,000 to 6,000 pounds worth of trailer and firewood. Depending upon the trailer's hitch weight, you might want a weight distributing hitch, or airbags. At that weight trailer brakes would be absolultely required, along with a good brake controller (I'd recommend Brakesmart if money is not an object, or Jordan Ultima, or Technocia Prodigy as 2nd and 3rd choices).

Old 12-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Range Rover
Default stiffer springs

well thank you very much i think im going to purchase all the stuff becuse i have been saving a long time and y skimp on the money and get something bad and have to buy a new one so ill get the good one thank you all very much but one more question will the bags handle fam work?

Old 12-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default stiffer springs

I guess I'm not quite sure what you are asking... Will air bags handle farm work?

Quality air bags are generally pretty durable, and will allow you to level your truck out if it squats under load. Their advantage over overload springs is that you can easily let the air back out to avoid a bouncy or stiff ride when empty.

I would consider them an aid to better handling within the truck's weight ratings, not something that would allow you to exceed the truck's ratings.

If you are thinking about a trailer, I'd look for a good used one (as they will hold their value well) then see how the truck handles with the load in the trailer and/or have the rig weighted. You might find that you can haul what you need in the trailer w/o needing airbags.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Range Rover
Default stiffer springs

thank you guys for all your help. next step striaght pipe exahst u guys know where i can get one?

Old 12-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default stiffer springs

I grew up on a small ranch.... Yes the bags will handle farm work. Sure wish I had them on the farm trucks that I had growing up..... Nothing like putting a cattle rack in the back of a 3/4 ton and then placing 2 yearling bulls in it to take them to the auction...... This should help control that shifting weight...

Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Range Rover
Default stiffer springs

ihop,

If you get a trailer, I would recommend a tandem axle trailer at least 14' long. Short trailers are a pain in the butt. Here in OK, you can pick up a 16' tandem axle, no brakes, 7000 lb capacity trailer for around $900. Good luck!

toe

Old 12-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Range Rover
Default stiffer springs

what are straight pipes? where can i get them thanks alot guys