Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

stiffer springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stiffer springs

my dodge 1500 sport is the best truck ive every had it does every thing but the suspion in the rear and front are soft. when i stand in the bed it moves to much and when hauling wood it squats a good amount. i dont understand y becuse the truck will pull it no problem.? can i just get hevy duty springs for it but where? please help thanks

Old 12-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default stiffer springs

Depending if you want to retain your factory ride when empty, you can either add a leaf to your existing leaf pack, or add a set of helper springs. I added a leaf to my 98 f-150 because of your same situation you are having with your truck. One word of caution however, it will make your ride stiffer after the leaf is installed. You can purchase an add a leaf on-line at summit or somewhere like that and install them yourself if your mechanically inclined. Otherwise, I'm sure some alignment shop or similar business could install them for $150 or so.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Range Rover
Default stiffer springs

ihop,

You can also add airbags to your rear suspension to level your truck out while under a load. This won't affect your normal handling if you let the air out of the bags when you're not towing. If I remember correctly jcwhitney sells them. Good luck.

toe

Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Range Rover
Default stiffer springs

i dont really care about the ride its mostly dirt roads but sometimes hauling firewood to peoples houses so i dont know what ill get yet how much more weight can i put in?

Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default stiffer springs

Technically, your not supposed to load your vehicle past the manufactures GVWR. The rear axle should also have a maximum weight rating. On most stock half ton pick up trucks, 1500 pounds is the maximum you are "supposed" to load into the truck. When I added the leaf spring to my truck, it raised the rear about 1.5" and I could load up 2000-2200 pounds before the truck would come close to the bump stops. I wouldn't advise going on public roads doing this because you are over your vehicles weight ratings and if you are involved in an accident, all sorts of nasty things can happen.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default stiffer springs

1356 pounds is the listed payload for a 1500 sport, with a 6,350 gross vehicle rating. It likely has 275/55R20's that are likely rated around 2800 max load.

Anyway, airbags would be my choice to help with sagging, but there's more to payload capacity than springs, and they don't change the ratings listed in the door jamb...

Personally, I wouldn't exceed the gross vehicle weight rating or the axle ratings if I could help it.

If you are at or over your weight rating and want to legally haul more wood without getting a heavier duty truck, how about a trailer?

Old 12-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default stiffer springs

I put helper springs or Overloads on my 1500 Ram, I hate them. They make noise, they aren't really adjustable, and they hurt the ride when unloades. I put these on my 2500 Ram and wouldn't trade them for anything. I added an aircompressor and would definitely recommend them......

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...tion/to=r.html

Old 12-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Range Rover
Default stiffer springs

i go off roading a lot with the truck do they pop?

Old 12-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default stiffer springs

I would go with the airbags. They work great and no they won't pop if installed correctly.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default stiffer springs

Air bags, no pop. Add a leaf/overloads, pop all the time. I'm going to remove the add a leafs.

Quick Reply: stiffer springs