Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

I enclosed my utility trailer. What do ya think??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007 | 10:43 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default I enclosed my utility trailer. What do ya think??????????????

After 12 days and about 100 hrs, I have finished enclosing my 6' x 14' utility trailer. The front box will hold 4 (6 gallon) gas cans or what ever. The doors swing both inward and outward. Even after the weight of the enclosure I still have about 1700 lbs. of cargo capacity. That should be plenty for atv's and cargo.

So what does everyone think of it????????????????

I also thought I would post to give anyone thinking of doing the same thing some ideas.

Check the link for pics.

. Homemade Enclosed Trailer

Old 04-01-2007 | 12:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Great job. Looks real nice.

Old 04-05-2007 | 12:34 AM
Range Rover

Nice job! If you don't mind telling, how much did it cost you to convert your trailer? Thanks.

toe

Old 04-05-2007 | 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Very nice project! what's next?

Old 04-05-2007 | 03:16 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: toehanus
Nice job! If you don't mind telling, how much did it cost you to convert your trailer? Thanks.

toe
&

With all the shelves and interior stuff, around $800.00. So with the trailer and spares, I have right at $2000.00 in the whole thing.

Old 04-05-2007 | 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

Looks really good! Job well done!!

Old 04-05-2007 | 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

I will be curious to see how it holds up to travel with a cross wind. Im not sure the shelf brackets are going to hold up to the side pressure. Looks good though.

Old 04-05-2007 | 10:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

stumper660, about the cross winds,

I can put some heavier "L" brackets on the 2x4's where they meet. You can see how many bolts are in the steel panels that go into the 2x4's. The bolts also go across the top of the trailer like down the sides. Do you think the exterior bolted panels add strength to the 2x4's to help against the cross winds?

Old 04-05-2007 | 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

Definetly adds strength as far as wind pushing from the front. A couple cables X across the front or a couple 2x4's used as gussets te the front will add alot of anti-sway strength.It might be just fine the way it is,I just dont want you to lose the whole thing if it gets to swinging.

Old 04-06-2007 | 01:11 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

[quote]
Originally posted by: stumper660
Definetly adds strength as far as wind pushing from the front. A couple cables X across the front or a couple 2x4's used as gussets te the front will add alot of anti-sway strength.It might be just fine the way it is,I just dont want you to lose the whole thing if it gets to swinging.[/q

There are six 2x4's attatched to inside of the front wall. There are aproximately 15 to 20 1.5" screws for each 2x4 screwed through the front into the 2x4's. There is a top 2x4 at the front wall that is also screwed to the front wall horizontally. Each of the five 2x4's are bolted at the bottom to the steel frame and also bolted 12" up to the top metal rail. I figured this should add side support.

Do you think by tying the 2x4's to the front wall it creates a kinda gusset? or Do you think the addition of two interior cables on the front wall in an X pattern from corner to corner would add more anti-sway support?

I appreciate your input.

Also, the weight of the trailer, atv, and etc. should be around 3000 lbs. My toungue weight will be 450 to 475. That should help too.

Quick Reply: I enclosed my utility trailer. What do ya think??????????????