Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Towing with a car help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with a car help

So i am buyin a yamaha grizzly 660 2004 and the only car i own to haul it is a nissan altima 2005.

The manual states that i can have 100 pounds on the tongue and pull a total weight of 1000 ponds.

I found a trialor that weighs 221 pounds and is a 4x8.

What are some tips for me to follow so i dont kill my car.

i know a 4 cylinder can tow pretty well because our old nissan truck had a smaller engine than my altima has. The truck did not have an external tranny cooler either.

How do i balance the weight on the trailer?
How do you know if a trailer is balanced or not?

Here is the link for the trailer i want to buy. I saw it yesterday in person and it looks pretty stable

http://www.harborfreight.com/c....taf?itemnumber=42709

Thanx guys.

I live 35 minutes form 5 mile pass utah and the west desert where there are over 2000 miles of atv trails so i dont have to go to far. The furthest i would go is 5 hours and that includes some inclines on the highway. Our 4 cylinder 1991 truck was able to pull a camper that far for years. I hope this can be done and be done safely..

Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I would reccomend getting a hitch from a Nissan dealer who can set you up with whatever you need including recomondations on towing with that vehicle. I personaly see no issues w/ the weight that you are looking at towing as I have see mutch worse behind cars of that size here in CO. Hope this helps!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

I would reccomend getting a hitch from a Nissan dealer who can set you up with whatever you need including recomondations on towing with that vehicle. I personaly see no issues w/ the weight that you are looking at towing as I have see mutch worse behind cars of that size here in CO. Hope this helps!</end quote></div>

It does help. The hitch is from uhaul (not sure if uhaul is out side of utah). it is installed by a certified professional.

I have a 100,000 mile warranty on my car and im only at 44000 miles, so if something happens i tell them i followed the manual and i have a warranty.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Yes U-Haul is all over the country so if you have problems you should be able to get it fixed fairly easy!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

Yes U-Haul is all over the country so if you have problems you should be able to get it fixed fairly easy!!!</end quote></div>

woot, thanx man..

never towed a trailer before, im 23 and never needed to tow anything till now. So what do i need to keep in mind while towing?

i know breaks are very important and so is speed. Anything else? i know it sounds dumb to ask.

lol

Old 06-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Fist and fourmost is need to plan ahead for everything not just while driving but while loading your quad and tying it down correctly you never know when the idiot in front of you will slam on his brakes so make shur you quad is properly tied down second is don't be in a hurry as that is never a good thing while towing and it will just get you into serious trouble. Third be shure all you trailer componts are in good working order IE brake lights as in keep the smokies off your back!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

Fist and fourmost is need to plan ahead for everything not just while driving but while loading your quad and tying it down correctly you never know when the idiot in front of you will slam on his brakes so make shur you quad is properly tied down second is don't be in a hurry as that is never a good thing while towing and it will just get you into serious trouble. Third be shure all you trailer componts are in good working order IE brake lights as in keep the smokies off your back!!!</end quote></div>

Sweet action, thanx man.. So how do you properly load the atv onto a single axle 4x8 trailer? is the middle of the atv put over the wheels of the trailer. I have heard that it has to be done right so that the trailer wont sway back and forth. so a lil more tongue weight i take it is good.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

You want your atv to sit slightly forward of the axle putting a little bit of weght on the tongue of the trailer basicly the rear wheel of the atv just on the back side of the axle of the trailer!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

You want your atv to sit slightly forward of the axle putting a little bit of weght on the tongue of the trailer basicly the rear wheel of the atv just on the back side of the axle of the trailer!!!</end quote></div>

ok cool. i cant wait to get my atv.

Found a used one at a dealer for 4000$ that is a 2004 yamaha 660 grizzly with about 3000 miles, which turns out to be 150 hours if you divide 3000 by 20MPH. The tires are in good shape, 3/4ths of the tread left, but he told me for buying it from him he will add new tires for free.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Nice ride I am looking at a 700 Grizz myself!!

Quick Reply: Towing with a car help