Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

New guy Toy hauler advise please

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy Toy hauler advise please

Hi
New guy with a question that has probably been asked a thousand times but I searched it and could not find the answer. Anyway to the question and will take anyone's opinion. I have a Dodge 06 2500 Mega cab 4x4 diesel and 2 Polaris 700 Sportmans that weigh a lot. I am thinking about buying a toy hauler to take camping and store the ATVs in when not in use. I would like opinions on what size?, What manufacturer? 5th wheel or bumper pull? etc please. I want something to handle the weight but not to big so I can get into areas relatively easily. I am asking for any input this a big purchase that I only want to do once, so anything you are going to say I am willing to listen. Thanks

Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Two different routes on what you're describing. When you say toy hauler I assume you mean an enclosed trailer. You can get a trailer that will fit your quads side by side as long as you have stock sized tires and rims on your quads. You can get a trailer that is 98" wide inside and 96" wide long if I remember right. The other way to do it would be to get a more narrow trailer that is 14' long or so. Don't recall the exact length of the standard Sportsman. I would always go a little larger so you can move around in the trailer and carry some extra gear.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

The question is do you want comfort or function?? If you want function look at Forest River (brand) work and play (model). I have a 20ft er and the way everything folds up and tucks away I get three bikes in it. They are bumper pull so you can still use your truck bed. We love ours but then again we don't even have a tv. Do you want a camper or the hilton??

Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

If you're going to use the trailer to store the atv's in, you may want to consider one with a separate garage. Will cut down on your living area but then again if you do have a leak of any kind, it's not in the living room.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you guys for your quick replies. I was thinking more of a camper/ toy hauler not just a empty enclosed trailer style. OK maybe not a Hilton something between a motel with the burned out bulbs in the sign and a low Holiday inn TV not necessary but needs to sleep 4. I have not went out looking yet and I have read post suggesting to go to RV shows and take pictures of what I like. Has any one here ever purchased one off the Internet out of state before?

thanks again

Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check out JeffinTD's rig, i think it's a Kit Mfg toy hauler/patio hauler. it's nice if that's what you're looking for. separate garage/patio for quads and a nice 5th wheel.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There are menu choices, each with benefits and drawbacks. I have a triple axle Patio Hauler 40' 5th wheel, but something like that wouldn't work with your pickup.

5th wheels put about 20% of their loaded weight on the pin, so with a 2500 or SRW 3500 you will find you will exceed the rear axle weight rating way before you hit the max combined weight rating or max towing rating.

Also, with the mega's short box I'd be looking at auto sliding hitches so you dont smash the back of the cab when you turn tight.

The plus side is that 5th wheels generally tow and handle well compared to tow trailers.

Anyway I'd take a look at KZ. Weekend warrior also made some nice units, though I'd avoid one made in the last year before they ceased operation.

Hitting an Rv show is a good place to see a lot of different options and floorplans. Take a digital camera and start photos of what interests you with a shot of the card that shows what it is. They tend to run together after a bit.

You can tell a lot about general quality by pulling kitchen drawers and looking underneath. Some are pressboard, some are particleboard, and some are plywood. Make sure there is enough room in the shower to stand up.

Lastly unless money is no object I'd start with a used unit. Everyone learns from there first one what they really want, and new ones loose huge value in the first year or two even if spotless and hardly used. Water damage from leaks and the fridge are expensive to repair and something to look at closely in a used one.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

I've got a 26ft Balboa (similar to a work and play) that would have no problem with the weight. They are steel framed instead of wood so your cabinets won't fall off of the wall in a couple of years. They make shorter ones but are well equipped. I pull mine with a Dodge Diesel and weigh about 18,000 lbs loaded. Don't think there are as many manufacturers as there once was.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Keystone Raptor has a bumper pull in the 20 to 22 ft range that would be a nice unit. I just picked one up for around 23K used. It was like brad new. Some guy bought it, used it one time, then decided he wanted a motor home. It sat for a year before he traded up. Didn't even take the plastic off the upper bunk. The $4500 generator was never ran. Started right up woo hoo.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Range Rover

I've had two Sportsmen Sportsters by KZ and loved them both. The first one that I had was a 38ft unit with only one slide out and aluminum siding. The weight was good on that unit and I pulled it with a 3/4 ton F250 for the longest and pretty much all over the southeast.
I got Chevy 3500 and ended up getting a little bigger unit afterwards.... My current unit is 44 foot long with three slides one of which is a super slide.
It was a lot bigger than I thought I wanted, but have loved it so far because once you are there its like being at home...

I loved the construction of the Sportster. It had good cabinets, floors, appliances, and all the stuff worked like it was supposed to and was laid out very well. I would suggest one with a separate garage. I love it even if we aren't riding and I don't have my quads with me. I've probably used mine as much for fishing in the summers as riding and it offers a great place to come in and get out of fishy clothes before going inside.

A buddy of mine has had the Raptor and it was a nice looking unit, but didn't seem to hold up as well over time.

Good luck on your purchase.

Quick Reply: New guy Toy hauler advise please