Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Registering a trailer in MA

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering a trailer in MA

This is a rather specific question, but I figure it can't hurt to ask here:
A friend bought a trailer for our ATVs from a guy (from NH) he knows at work. Apparently, when registering the trailer in MA, we need an RMV1 form signed and stamped from his insurance agent (which we have) and proof of the previous sellers ownership. The old registration or excise bill will do for this, but the guy has neither. What are we supposed to do in this situation?

As I type this, I've been waiting on hold with the MA RMV for just under 25 minutes now. So they are of no help.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can you apply for a homemade trailer registration/title? i presume you're talking about a flatbed/car hauler/utility trailer, right? wow, can't believe the previous owner didn't keep the registration for the license plates. surely the court house could print that off for you. .
sorry i don't know MA laws/statutes, i reckon Texas is a little easier when dealing with trailers.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooVyper
This is a rather specific question, but I figure it can't hurt to ask here:
A friend bought a trailer for our ATVs from a guy (from NH) he knows at work. Apparently, when registering the trailer in MA, we need an RMV1 form signed and stamped from his insurance agent (which we have) and proof of the previous sellers ownership. The old registration or excise bill will do for this, but the guy has neither. What are we supposed to do in this situation?

As I type this, I've been waiting on hold with the MA RMV for just under 25 minutes now. So they are of no help.
They don't do titles for trailers in NH so that option is out. Does he have the original Bill of Sale for the trailer? That might be enough for proof of ownership. I would think if you have the RMV1 from the previous owner that proves ownership....

Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
They don't do titles for trailers in NH so that option is out. Does he have the original Bill of Sale for the trailer? That might be enough for proof of ownership. I would think if you have the RMV1 from the previous owner that proves ownership....
The RMV1 form is current, not from the previous owner.
I finally got a hold of the RMV rep and he said there's no other alternative, that we need the previous owners prior registration.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Looks like a bill of sale may work.
Massachusetts RMV - Registrations and Titles FAQs

Old 08-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

Welcome to one of the stupid states for registration..I bought a pontoon trailer off craigs list with expired reg. a cert.bill of sale But....NO title as ct. does not use them.... Guess what NO LUCK... So I had to use the home made method ASK your INS.AGENT HE WILL KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND THE RMV.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

Bill of Sale is all you need in addition to the RMV1. I did it this summer. Its $20 for every 1000lbs you intend to haul. Thats total weight. (Trailer 500lbs, quad 700lbs, means register for 2000lbs.) RMV told me if you are under weight if pulled over, $1500 fine. Word to the wise.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Riddler77
Bill of Sale is all you need in addition to the RMV1. I did it this summer. Its $20 for every 1000lbs you intend to haul. Thats total weight. (Trailer 500lbs, quad 700lbs, means register for 2000lbs.) RMV told me if you are under weight if pulled over, $1500 fine. Word to the wise.
your hypos/DOT boys weigh y'all? wow, they must be bored and ain't got nothing else to do!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jaster94
your hypos/DOT boys weigh y'all? wow, they must be bored and ain't got nothing else to do!
Oh yea.... Around here every landscape, utility & enclosed trailer is fair game. A coworker got pulled over with his car hauler. He got a $90 fine for 3 lights out. Its fine by me. A local landscaper hauls his 8K mini ex on a light duty dual axle flatbed. OMG both axles are bent, fenders ripped off. I dont even think the trailer has brakes. Last time I got stuck behind his rig the front brakes on his truck were smoking after he came to a stop at the bottom of a hill.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

WOW! that guy ought to get tickets for being unsafe. but really, they're that stringent? WOW, i guess your state and local govts need the money.....WOW, that's unbelievable!. note to self: don't drag through the east.

Quick Reply: Registering a trailer in MA