Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Side Load ATV trailers

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Load ATV trailers

Just wondering how many people use the side load atv trailers that you have to drive over the side rails to load and unload your machine. I have seen a couple of different brands like Maxey and Echo. How dow your atvs fit and ride on the trailers. I have looked at the Maxey brand and they look to be pretty well built.
Thanks

Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this one

or this one
?

when i had one, i homemade mine like the top photograph shows. . it saved me room and was easy. plus i didn't want a deckover style trailer like the bottom photo shows. i wanted a lower profile trailer. BUT, get what you want, it's your money and will be your trailer. mine just served for more than an atv trailer. BTW, on the top model, the wind really didn't mess with the trailer much while going down the highway.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Had several people had the Maxey or something similar and loved em. Lot of people just got tired of loading the first one and having to drag it sideways on the trailer to allow a couple more on. Plus I got tired myself on having to help do this for em too. OPT

Old 08-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

when i made my homemade side load ramps on my tandem axle trailer, i made it from the nose of the trailer to the front axle. doing this allowed me to just run 2 quads up on it sidexside without having to manhandle them around .then i was able to just run up some quads on the tail end to finish loading. i'm with OPT on that one, it sucks having to manhandle them quads around. i ain't as young as i used to be so i opt to take it easy, especially on me.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Jaster94
when i made my homemade side load ramps on my tandem axle trailer, i made it from the nose of the trailer to the front axle. doing this allowed me to just run 2 quads up on it sidexside without having to manhandle them around .then i was able to just run up some quads on the tail end to finish loading. i'm with OPT on that one, it sucks having to manhandle them quads around. i ain't as young as i used to be so i opt to take it easy, especially on me.
Have any pics Jasper?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the wider side loaders- they are a pita if you want to load a 2-up (like my outty max) you have to drag the whole bike over- also hate how the tall ramps scrape against the front & rear bumpers of the atv scratching them all up and removing the black bumper paint.

I'd rather have a longer, narrower 2x atv trailer than a wider side loader- I just built my home made trailer- fits my max nicely, can fit 2 smaller atv's (like sport quads) front to back also. the bed measures 11' x 5.5' and I made the ramp to slide under the back of the bed- ramp pulls out to 6'. I even welded an atv tire changer to it pics are in my album.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/album.php?albumid=11277

Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

nice job Beergut! Im looking at a jet ski trailer to do the same as they are narrow.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceDeuce
nice job Beergut! Im looking at a jet ski trailer to do the same as they are narrow.
thanks

jetski trailer would be perfect- the only thing about my trailer is the weight- probably looking at close to 1000 lbs with the axle & tires.
all the extra steel and decking, plus the 6' slide out steel ramp and steel box up front really added some weight. But it tows nice & steady and will probably hold an easy 2500 lbs. the jetski trailer will be a lot lighter and plenty strong.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by BruceDeuce
Have any pics Jasper?
look past the gokart and the lawn tractor. i know i know, that trailer looks like it has seen better days. and it has. it was wrecked and i tried to rebuild it. it was my "swayback" mare. heck, it hauled the quads great so i wasn't scared to weld on it. it worked for me! so don't laugh at me, laugh WITH me
that trailer has since gone byebye. i let it go and replaced it with my car hauler i have now. it served its purpose and its time, so now i upgraded. but as you can tell, my grizzly went up first at the nose and then my honda went up right next to it. then, at that time, the Trailblazer and go kart went up on the rear.

Attached Thumbnails Side Load ATV trailers-102_3649.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Range Rover

Jaster it served its purpose, thats all that matters.

Quick Reply: Side Load ATV trailers