Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Side Load ATV trailers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This site must be something useful for future reference guys.
Bike Rack - Cargo Carrier - Loading Ramps - Wheelchair Ramps - Motorcycle Accessories

Old 08-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

How about the side loaders that you actually drive over the sides of the rails. Th one I was thinking about is 61" wide on the floor and 79" wide at the outside of the rails and is 10 feet long. I have seen regular 4 wheelers on these trailers but not the 2 up machines.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a Thule/CargoPro side loader when we had a Polaris ATP and Polaris Sportsman X2. When you folded the gates up the gates scraped the plastic on the front and/or rear, as Beergut mentioned. There are 101" models out there now but mine was not one of them. I just got a 12'x101" snowmobile trailer so I can carry 3 full sized machines.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:50 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also-the trailers with the aluminum ramps are junk imo- wilson911 had an aluminum sideloader and I've rewelded the ramps for him once and he's also had another shop weld them- the aluminum ramps are not really built to take a 900lb atv + rider too many times. The aluminum welds crack, and if you're on anything other than flat level surface, the ramps bend all up- also noticed the uprights that hold the top rail on have broken and bent- and the aluminum tiedowns that slide into the trailer rails are bent and lose.

I think for any atv over 600 lbs you really need a steel trailer- especialy steel ramps- the almuminum ones just don't hold up well over time- from what I've seen. Those are great for dirtbikes, lawn equipment and stuff like that.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
also-the trailers with the aluminum ramps are junk imo- wilson911 had an aluminum sideloader and I've rewelded the ramps for him once and he's also had another shop weld them- the aluminum ramps are not really built to take a 900lb atv + rider too many times. The aluminum welds crack, and if you're on anything other than flat level surface, the ramps bend all up- also noticed the uprights that hold the top rail on have broken and bent- and the aluminum tiedowns that slide into the trailer rails are bent and lose.

I think for any atv over 600 lbs you really need a steel trailer- especialy steel ramps- the almuminum ones just don't hold up well over time- from what I've seen. Those are great for dirtbikes, lawn equipment and stuff like that.
I didn't have that experience with the CargoPro side loader (aluminum trailer with aluminum ramps) and the quads we had at the time (Polaris ATP and Sportsman X2) were the heaviest quads on the market. With my 350 lbs. we used the trailer dozens of times without that issue. We currently use a set of aluminum ramps I bought at Cabelas for loading in pickups or side loading a quad on the snowmobile trailer. Never had an issue with bad welds or cracked aluminum. I figure, with winches and gas, the ATP and X2 were both around 900 lbs. of work oriented quad.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default load rite side load

I have a 2007 load rite galv. STEEL with the alu. side ramps. I was a little sceptional about the deck over wheels but it has held up very well .The side ramps are aluminium and so far no problems. I carry 2 2010 polaris sportsman touring. The way the ramps lock in the up position it was easy to extend the bars to allow the ramps outward a couple inches on both sides thus NO rubbing. I only wish it was enclosed to avoid thieves.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Personally I find that the most convenient trailer is a full size car hauler that I can sideload or drive on from the back. I have rub rails and stake pockets and have made my own side "Fence" to hold things just in case. Like others, I do not relish dragging a 700 machine around on the deck to get it to fit.. Trying to drive on the type you are asking about and then sliding them around is alot of physical work that I frankly am not up to any longer.