Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Can i mix once ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i mix once ?

I just bought a used trailer for my atv. I don't know what grease was previously used but I am going to install some buddy bearings on it. I just don't have the time this week or next to take out the bearing and repack them but i need to use the trailer on the highway to take the atv to my land and do some work so I want to make sure i am covered for just a little while. I dont think its low, but i could always post a picture with the dust cover off if that helps too.
Would it be ok to install the buddy bearing (they take 2minutes) and fill it up with new grease.. then in a couple weeks when i have time, completely clean and repack with all new grease ? I hear stories of mixing, but i am new to trailers and bearings and all the maintenance with them. The current grease is red and i had purchased Lucas XTRA duty grease if that means anything at all.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Atvrder
I just bought a used trailer for my atv. I don't know what grease was previously used but I am going to install some buddy bearings on it. I just don't have the time this week or next to take out the bearing and repack them but i need to use the trailer on the highway to take the atv to my land and do some work so I want to make sure i am covered for just a little while. I dont think its low, but i could always post a picture with the dust cover off if that helps too.
Would it be ok to install the buddy bearing (they take 2minutes) and fill it up with new grease.. then in a couple weeks when i have time, completely clean and repack with all new grease ? I hear stories of mixing, but i am new to trailers and bearings and all the maintenance with them. The current grease is red and i had purchased Lucas XTRA duty grease if that means anything at all.
only you can answer if the risk is worth thw trouble! What is your trailer and machine worth to you if you loose them?

Old 07-19-2018, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

I hear what your saying. I know there’s no way to tell but I guess I meant more along the lines of, is there any harm in mixing grease.. not necessarily asking how long I can go without cleaning it all out, just whether or not it’s bad to top off the current grease with something new.

Also on the similar topic.. it is a harbour freight cheaper trailer.. I’m assuming it has original bearings. Is there any reason to upgrade the bearings to something “better” or just repack the ones on there? Is there even such thing as an “upgraded” bearing for a 4x8 trailer?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

There's the old, mixed grease is better than no grease thing.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

At the least I would pick up each wheel and give it a good spin and see if it is smooth. Any grinding or noise would require a rebuild NOW! When you do open up the bearings and races only a good inspection will know what condition they are in. Most bearing failures are from lack of lube, not cheap bearings. Mixing different greases is not a good idea as it can make them turn liquid. I have tested different greases on the bench, add some of two different kinds and let them set for a couple weeks after stirring them together a number of times. Many are compatible, many are not, just have to experiment. You bought a "used" trailer, my concern is how used the bearings are? I had a wheel bearing come apart on my boat trailer carrying my 22' Islander, didn't realize it happened until I backed into my barn after fireworks and the wheel fell off when I stopped backing. Talk about a close call.....I had just been on the e-way at 65mph....less than 10 min before!!
I actually stood there and shook for 20 minutes just thinking what could have happened! Now my wheels are checked regularly on all my trailers...

Old 07-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Personally iv never had a issue with mixing brands... now i just use a synthetic grease on everything and did not run into a issue when converting over

Old 07-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Zrock
Personally iv never had a issue with mixing brands... now i just use a synthetic grease on everything and did not run into a issue when converting over
That is a safe bet as synthetic will mix with anything! That is what I use...made that switch some years back. In earlier days I have had some issues with mixing greases.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

Is Lucas XTRA a synthetic? It didn’t say so on the label and I see nothing online but I’m new to this thing so who knows.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just buy whatever multi-purpose grease I see at the store, no matter what brand it is. I haven't had any problems mixing several different greases yet. The last grease I bought was lithium-based and the rest probably were too. Scootergptx was right. Mixed grease is better than no grease.

My trailer has the Dexter Axle E-Z Lube system and I never have to take anything apart to grease the bearings. If I ever buy another trailer I'd like to have the same setup.