Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading ramps used as mounts for Hauling?

Old 05-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20g? Is that supposed to be $20,000? I have no where near $20K worth of equipment if that's what you're suggesting. But even if it was free, I would not want to lose it off the trailer. I'll definitely consider all the suggestions here. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess the one thing I noticed you saying that you wanted a fold up trailer for was because you have no place to store, meaning you have no garage. I think very few people actually do that, they just store their trailer outside and put some sort of lock on it to deter theives. I honestly would just look through your local craigslist or even check local trailer dealers for used trailers. For under $1000, you should be able to find a trailer in good shape that will safely haul your atvs and be able to be used for many years. Weight shouldn't be a problem either since you said you had a Tundra so you don't have to search for a very lightweight trailer as if say you were towing with a car or minivan which might only be able to tow maybe 1500 lbs. Something like this would be great, im sure you can find one like it near you to be able to haul 2 atvs https://semo.craigslist.org/tro/d/tr...585450429.html

Old 05-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know someone with a trailer that looks just like that, except brand new. Last summer the air blowing through the mesh ramp blew his license plate right off. The original mount wasn't very good, but somebody found his license plate on the highway, and he has it bolted on better now.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a trailer just like that myself about 15 years ago. Instead of a rear gate, it had steel ramps that slid into a channel that doubled as the rear gate. I think it was a foot shorter, believe it was a 5x13. Still long enough to haul 2 large atvs. I remember paying about $800 for it brand new at a local dealer. Probably would be about twice that now for the same trailer brand new. The dealer still exists but they don't sell trailers anymore. They used to sell both commercial lawn equipment and trailers, now its just lawn equipment.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:03 PM
Moto Psycho

I think my friend's trailer is 6'x14', but it could be 5' wide. I haven't seen it since last fall. I see people towing landscaping trailers with ramps like that all over the place.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, been a few weeks. I cannot store a trailer outside my house. I will get a ticket. I have to be able to put it away somewhere. I have a garage, but I do not have room in there either. Between musical equipment, and bikes, and the quads, I cannot fit a trailer in there. I was basically looking for a cheap solution to tow 2 small/medium sized quads. The folding trailer seemed like the answer. The only other solution would be a trailer that I can stand up on its side while its not in use and store along the exterior garage wall. Maybe I can mount some kind of pulley system to hang it from the eaves. =) Trying to be creative without being crazy/dangerous.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:04 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Simple solution if u want to stand it up. I would stand it on its side just for ease of getting it maneuvered. You could mount a couple of eyes into the garage wall outside in a stud. Put a ****** block in the middle and use your atv to lift into place. Then use some chains on the other eyes to secure it..

Old 06-20-2018, 01:53 PM
Moto Psycho

Storage still isn't an option? There's a place a few miles from my house where I could rent a storage unit big enough to at least hold a folding trailer and ATV, or maybe a non-folding trailer. I would have to buy a good lock for the door but otherwise they're ready to move into. If you ride the same area all the time, storage near there would keep you from having to tow all the way.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Storage still isn't an option? There's a place a few miles from my house where I could rent a storage unit big enough to at least hold a folding trailer and ATV, or maybe a non-folding trailer. I would have to buy a good lock for the door but otherwise they're ready to move into. If you ride the same area all the time, storage near there would keep you from having to tow all the way.
Getting off topic here. Storage is not an option, neither offsite nor in front of my house. The solution has to be a trailer that I can store in limited space. Here are a few examples, not all are folding, but I would have to store them on end somehow:

Kendon makes a trailer that would fit my needs exactly, except that its $3,500!
https://www.kendonusa.com/product/st...-atv-trailers/

These ones I could probably stand up against the wall:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2541_200612541
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...4974_200244974

Most of the HF style folding trailers are no longer sold. I heard it has something to due with the wheels/tires that were maybe not rated properly. Not sure though...

Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Moto Psycho

The folding trailer I found looked like it would be close to perfect, but it costs $2,789. It has 12 welded-in-place stake pockets so you could put side rails on it in your ATV isn't too long. You may have options I haven't thought of, but it looks to me like there are only 3.
1. Buy a cheap folding trailer in kit form that's held together by sub-standard bolts.
2. Spend what it takes to buy a good folding trailer.
3. Get a non-folding trailer and hoist it up against the outside of the garage wall. I don't know why that's okay but just parking it isn't. Are you in a home owners' association that tells you what you can and can't do on your own property?