Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What should i buy? I'm short :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i buy? I'm short :)

Hey snowbuster, I would agree 110% in most cases, but if shes just riding on trails, and not too much mud, I would reccomend the 2wd just because its lighter, easier to steer...

Later,

Mark

Old 06-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Range Rover

You should get the Suzuki Ozark period. It is the best out of all the 250's. Its also the fastest utility 250 to if that matters. Like snowbuster said it is nice to have full floorboards and the Ozark has them. I know the recon doesn't have full floorboards not sure about the other 250's. I have 700-800 miles on my Ozark and nothing has gone wrong with it. I know this doesn't really matter but the Ozark looks the best in its class by far IMO. BTW im 14 and 5'6 and the Ozark fits me just fine.

Old 06-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Recon ES has full floor boards. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2003, 05:18 AM
Pro Rider

I think i'd consider the rancher also. Super reliable good power but not to much, four wheel drive or two wheel drive. There are two models one full time four by and the two wheel drive. For mud you'll need the four by four and let me attest it will go through most anything it doesn't flat out bottom out on. It is a 350 and bigger than a recon but even though you're short you're 15 and you might get bored with the recon. My cousin has a foreman and he's 14 and those are 450s and he's complaining about it not having enough power.

Old 06-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

The new bayou 250s are a good choice for a person like u take a look at them.

Old 06-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I thought about it and you probably wont want the 4x4 unless you absolutely need it. it REALLY helps in snow and mud. a nice upgrade for the 4x4 would be a gearless locker/unlocker. i know you said you want to go in the mud, it all depends on who’s riding with you if their is another quad with a winch that could pull you out your fine. but if your on your own you might want to pick up a winch and get the 2X4. with 4x4 it harder to turn the outside front wheel pulls you out of the turn so you have to fight it. that goes for any quad.

Old 06-20-2003, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

recon or bear tracker owned both love both both great machines keep up with the bigg 650 4x4 any day of the week and do suprisingly well in the mud

Old 06-20-2003, 01:51 AM
Trailblazer

I think you should go with your first choice,the Recon.I was 13 and just over 5 ft. when I got mine and it was the perfect size for me to start riding with.The ES is what I started with as far as shifting and I like it better than regular foot shift,plus the ES has full floor boards.Recons are also very reliable,we havent had any problems with either.You'll love a Recon ES.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

Recon is a great machine. If you are going to ride cautiously -- not too much mud, not too steep, always with bigger ATV's that can pull you out if you get stuck -- a Recon will last you forever, is pretty comfortable, and handles really well for a small machine.

IF you have any expectation of really "getting into" ATV-ing, and especially IF you expect to grow some more (and that's a matter of your genetics: some folks are as tall as they'll ever be at 14-15, others get a big growth as late as 17-18),
and IF you are the kind of person who is always looking for the next challenge :
take a really SERIOUS look at the Honda Rancher.

The 2WD Rancher is as good a "mid-size" 2WD as you'll find.
BUT -- you can't convert the 2WD to a 4WD/4x4, so if you get the 2x2 you're "stuck" with 2WD. (Being "stuck with" ANY Rancher is never a bad thing! <g>
OTOH -- If the Rancher 4x4's steering proves to be a bit "heavy" for you (probably not), for about $250 you can get a kit (the WARN "424 Select") that lets you switch between 4WD and 2WD.
Lots of ATV's get that feature built-in already; Honda chose to keep the basic Rancher simpler -- and the 4x4 Rancher is simply the most capable of the smallish-to-mid-size ATV's out there.

My wife is a bit over 5 ft tall. Learned to ride on her Dad's little 4x4 Yamaha TimberWolf (he called it "The Flea"), and rode a bunch of different machines before choosing her green 4x4 Rancher 350ES.

That little beauty is simply the best-balanced ATV I've ever ridden, and is one of the best "handling" vehicles of any sort that I've ever driven. Some are smaller, some lighter, some cheaper, some faster, some have more ground clearance, some "cushy-ier", etc. etc. etc., but Honda got it SO right with the 350 Rancher that most Rancher owners I know, even those who've traded "up" for a "badder" or bigger or more work-oriented quad, say that the Rancher is the best all-around ATV they've owned.

If you can spring for a Rancher 4x4, you won't have to look at "trading up" in the near future. If the 4x steering is a bit "heavy" for you now,
get it converted (with WARN's excellent kit) to switchable 2x/4x drive, and you'll have the safety margin of 4WD when you need it. Hondas are very reliable and durable, and hold their resale value longer than other brands.

The only drawback of getting a Rancher is that you'll have to "hang tough" to keep your Dad, brother(s), boyfriends, whatever, from begging you to swap-off onto their machines, 'cause there's something about the Rancher that keeps you coming back.