Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Prairie 700

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 700

Kraw...

How can you say the Prairie is ugly??? Any conversation about ugly quads most definitely begins and ends with the Grizzly![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Prairie 700

Power is a wonderful thing except to those who have to watch if from behind!! Should have seen my buddy coming up with excuses for why his Polaris can't keep up. And the guys whos always bragging about and showing off his Grizzly would not even look at my Prairie. Needed to go do something else when the subject cam up. 700cc V-Twin only way to fly.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2003, 07:04 AM
Trailblazer
Default Prairie 700

Aren’t they quite physically smaller than the grizzly and the other top of the line utility quads? I’ve never actually gone to the dealer and sat on one. I’m a very big guy and need a big roomy ATV. One that is large enough so that when I am riding on it I won’t look like a normal guy riding a kids quad ; ) What is the rider weight limit on a Prairie 700?

I’m planning on buying mine next spring or summer so I’m trying to research everything and every model I can.

I’m open to any brand as long as it meets the following requirements:

Reliability
Large size with big racks and weight capacity for towing and hauling my fat *** around
Big bore high HP model
Automatic with low range. No foot shifter.
Full locking front diff. No limited slip crap like my old Honda 300 4x4. I need all four locked and churning like hell.
Stability and a reasonably soft ride. My days of riding like a maniac are long over. This ATV is going to be used for tooling around the woods at a leisurely speed, dragging a mower, plowing snow in the winter, some seeding and plowing and general work duties around the farm. Will have a winch mounted.

I'm leaning towards the grizz 660 so far.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Prairie 700

Mort the Prairie is a big quad, it is 6 inches longer than or Suzuki 500 quadmaster. I am 6'00" and about 230. I have all the room I need, my wife and I have rode double on it and my wife is not small. It is rated to haul as much as any of the others on the racks, and tow 1250 lbs. The locker in my opinion is the best one out. The Grizzly does ride nicer and has a locker too. The Polaris and Bomb Quest both ride excellent and because they weight a ton can pull more weight. The Kawasaki is set up more for the sport type riding the seat is harder. Any of them are reliable the Grizzly did have a vapor lock problem but I think that has been fixed and if no the guys in these forumes know how to fix it. ( I think the Quest is just limited slip but if I remember right is suposed to work super) Start riding them see what you like thats what I did. And I bought the Kawasaki because I ride hard and like to play on mine. I refuse to grow up just my little rebellion I am staying 21 for ever. ( Now if someone could convince my hair line and grow waistline to just go back to 21!!)

Old 07-29-2003, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Prairie 700

Hey Mort...

The Prairie meets every need you expressed. The Grizzly probably does too, but I find it to be very tippy with the IRS instead of a swingarm like the Prairie. It's probably something you just have to get used to, but I like the stability of a swingarm. You do sacrifice some ground clearance, however. You may want to consider the 2004 limited edition Arctic Cat 650. It has several nice features like IRS with 13" of ground clearance, hand guards and a winch, plus it uses the Prairie v-twin motor. Anyway, good luck with your selection.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2003, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Prairie 700

Originally posted by: TheSorb
Kraw...

How can you say the Prairie is ugly??? Any conversation about ugly quads most definitely begins and ends with the Grizzly![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
if you go back in read my post again, you will notice I put in IMO. That is all it is, an opinion. I expressed mine. I think they are ugly. IMO, the Grizzly is the most beautiful bike on the market. Look at it's stance! Look how much space it has between the fenders and the top of the tires

MEAN

Originally posted by: TheSorb
Hey Mort...

The Prairie meets every need you expressed. The Grizzly probably does too, but I find it to be very tippy with the IRS instead of a swingarm like the Prairie. It's probably something you just have to get used to, but I like the stability of a swingarm. You do sacrifice some ground clearance, however. You may want to consider the 2004 limited edition Arctic Cat 650. It has several nice features like IRS with 13" of ground clearance, hand guards and a winch, plus it uses the Prairie v-twin motor. Anyway, good luck with your selection.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I've had my Grizz for over a year now, I have not ONCE noticed it to be tippy. You say it is tippy due to the IRS, then why do you recommend the AC if it has IRS?

Seems to me like you just dont' like Grizzlys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

and I never said I didn't like other bikes, I like ALL bikes

Old 07-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default Prairie 700

Kraw...

I personally don't care for IRS, but I understand it's a feature for which many people look. And I don't dislike the Grizzly. I know it's a fine machine. I happen to prefer the Prairie because it suits me and my style of riding. However, when I see a Grizzly, I suddenly suffer from ground clearance envy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Prairie 700

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input. I bought the Grizzly today and just got home from riding. So far it's bad ***!!