Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

KingQuad or Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2000, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I am looking to purchase a fourwheeler, and I have basically narrowed it down to the KingQuad and the Rancher ES both 4WD. I ride pretty much everything. Mostly trails with large sticks, bumps, hills, small obstacles to climb over, and also some good mud, (or like I said basically everything). Anyway, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on which atv is better, ie gives best ride over bumpy terrain, goes better in mud, etc.

Thanks for the opinions.
justingold

Old 05-25-2000, 08:58 PM
Range Rover

The King Quad would be better in the mud because you can have true 4 wheel drive and if your not in the mud you can put it in 2 wheel drive for lighter steering and a tighter turning radius. Plus with the 4 wheel independent suspension it helps put more traction to the ground than the Rancher. Also on the suzuki you can choose between 3 different ranges for 35 foward gear combinations, so you have the right gear for every situation.

Old 05-25-2000, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

my dad had the same problem before buying the one he gots now. We narrowed down to a KQ or a trx300
4wd. Well it turned out to be a 450-s honda and I can tell you why and this is nothing against suzuki but why we went with honda than the KQ.
To start this out 2 of our friends have KQ's and all the time and i mean consant work on these atv's. When we go atving with them they always have problems with there atv's and there seats are off all the time, My dads friend said "I don't now why suzuki puts seats on these machins
because every time I see one the darn seat's are off of it". and it's the truth.
Now to tell you why we went with honda, Well to start this off is that of cours I love honda I mean im a big fan of honda. And all of are friends have them and they just run those machines like you would not belive and they still run like new machins. And honda realy stands behind it's NAME for durability, realibility, and
just GREAT MACHINES.

Now honda may not have the chassis as the others but at list you will not haft to spend a fortune reparing all the time.

SO GOOD LUCK CHOOSING. BY THE WAY I JUST BOUHT A BRAND NEW HONDA RANCHER.

Old 05-26-2000, 12:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Rancher is faster, probably handles better, looks better too.

The king quad is ugly, but has the differential lock which sets it apart from everything else. Why no other quad has that option (save for the suzuki 250) I have no idea.

Old 05-26-2000, 02:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

lovinhonda,
so have you had any problems in the mud with the Rancher. I know that some people say that the KQ is much better in the mud b/c of their 4WD system, but I've heard that Honda upgraded their system also. I was wondering if it goes pretty good through the mud.

Old 05-26-2000, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

No I havn't but my friend has and he hasn't got any problems getting stuck.

Old 05-26-2000, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

I've seen the new "improved 4x4" system on the honda in action, what i saw was one wheel up in the air spinning, didn't look improved to me. IF it was down to those 2 models, i would have to say i'd go with teh KQ. it has a superior 4 wheel drive system, and undoubtably a better ride. i've noticed the rancher isn't the smoothest 4x4 (easily)

Old 05-27-2000, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

I own a 00 king quad. Honda builds a good machine
too. I haven't had problems with mine, like they are describing above.. My seat remains on the quad where it should be.. However, to offer an honest evaluation. The King was no mud machine when I got it. It doesn't have enough ground clearance and the stock tires suck. I went with a set of Vampires, one size bigger than stock. It is a mudmachine now.. It doesn't get left by anyone like it used too. I love the subtransmission, used it to pull a pickup today.
It is not a great ride though. When you hit the trail hard, it will work you to death.
I test drove a Rancher at the dealer. It had more power.. I don't know if it will pull with all four or not. They claim it will transfer power on its own..
I have wished that I had those shift buttons on the handgrip, while I was in water up to the seat and had to reach under water to put the King Quad in neutral so I could use reverse, and back out.
If you ride in a lot of water, that's a nice option. You can stand on the seat and put it in any gear you want. Hope I provided some useful information for you. I'm happy with the KQ. but they all have good points and bad points.
Good Luck with which ever one you choose.

Old 05-27-2000, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

I currently own a 99 kq and after 1500 miles I have yet to have a single problem. I find that the kq is a great trail machine and gives a fantastic ride with the independant rear suspension. With the differential lock it can handle most anything. It can handle very tight trails where a larger machine may have problems. I use mine primarily for hunting. This past season
I carried out 2 deer, one on each rack and the kq
handled it with no problem. If I had to pick a flaw it would be the stock tires. Change them out as soon as possible.

Old 05-31-2000, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was looking at a used '98 KQ. Great shape.
450 miles on it. Has 18 months of a 4 year extented warranty left. (Transferrable) Gun Boot included. Negotiated Price is $3850. Is this worth the $$$ for a 1998 KQ. Any Comments / Thoughts

Quick Reply: KingQuad or Rancher