Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2004 grizzly gear ratio

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 grizzly gear ratio

I did check it out long before the 03 were even out, not only did I ask the dealer, I also read about it first in THESE FORMS! My friends brother had one(02) and warned me about it! The dealer told me, out of all the grizz. he sold, he had one come back with a broken axel, Anyways, I'm not going to argue over it. I know that if I was going to have problems, I would have had them with what I've done with it by now. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. Happy trails.

Old 10-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

No problem, check the High Lifter Forums for the same subject and you'll see the '03 has been the worst so far and by far. BTW, High Lifter's forums are great. Anyway, how did you manage to check out the '03 axle problem way before they even came out?! I'm not saying by any meens that the '03's are crap its just that they seem to be the worst for the axles snapping and the fact is the '03 does have smaller axles and CV joints than the '02 and '04's do. Anyway, you picked a good choice for a bike, the Grizz is awsome even with its problems because no matter what bike you buy they ALL have thier problems. The fuel boiling and vapor lock WAS a huge issue with my bike but its all fixed now.

Old 10-27-2003, 06:30 AM
Trailblazer

I was thinking about buying one in 02 and was told by my friend,( I had read about it first). I didn't know at the time I bought one that there were any changes at all. I bought one because I thought for the amount that were sold, it wouldn't be a big deal, meaning there are alot of people that didn't have that problem. I didn't check out High lifter at the time. Take care.

Old 10-27-2003, 11:26 AM
jep
Weekend Warrior

I only had 300 mi on my 03 grizzly when I traded it. I got rid of it because of several problems I had with it. They replaced the primary clutch, the servo motor that engages the front end, the front drive shaft assembly, and the gear indicator light. I figured it was maybe a "lemon" so I traded. There is a diff in trans gearing according to 03 vs 04 manuals and it is noticeable. I called Yamaha Motor and they told me there was no difference, but I couldn't talk to a tech, they would relay a message to them. It has to be different if the manuals show it different. Don't get me wrong I think Yamaha is the best all-around atv, I just don't like the change and the fact that they can't give me any answers.

Old 10-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

What is the problem with the 03 grizzlys fuel vaporlocking? and how can it be fixed?

thanks in advance

Old 10-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Its the 2002-03's that were having the fuel boiling causing vapor lock problems and most were in the south eastern and western US. In the SE and western US the fuel in mixed different than in other places in the US because of our weather. You only need to do the following IF your having the fuel boiling causing the vapor lock. Yamaha had a "heat fighter" kit. It has a insulation that goes under the fuel tank between it and the motor. With this they give you a pattern on paper to make cut-outs on your side panels to help elimanate the heat trapped by the side panels. Yamaha did at one time warranty this but I understand now the do NOT. You can also buy the new sidepanels for a 2004 Grizzly that will fit the 2002-03's and they look much better than doing the cut-outs but you still need the insulation. They run about $35 a side.